A7R2 charge over USB

bwud

I looked at the wall plug. It puts out 2A @ 5VDC. That's roughly what most phones charge with. So I presume one can charge the camera while driving via a car adapter, albeit maybe a little slower (most car adapters only put out 1.5A).

If true, that's a slick capability for roadtrippers!

I have a variety of USB battery packs and the A7Rii happily charges from all of them, as well as any wall adaptor or computer. Car adaptors often provide even more power (1.5A is more than average) so it's likely to work fine.

What in the menu does one need set?

It's enabled by default; if it has been turned off:

Setup --> 4 --> USB Power Supply.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Actually, I suspect that it won't make any difference whether you use a 1.5A or 2.0A charger or maybe even 1.0A.

With my Samsung 2.0A phone charger and a multimeter, I checked that the camera always draws less than 0.9A (even if the camera is on and recording video). Ditto with the USB port on my Stanley car jumpstarter battery.

The main reason is that the A7RII is using USB 2, and that limits how much current it can draw from the USB connection. If it's using base USB 2, it's limited to 0.5A. If it's using the battery charging thing it can draw more, but only up to 1.5A.

USB 3 has much higher power capability using Power Delivery, but part of that is by using higher voltages. To draw the most from a USB 3 Power Delivery source I think you have to be using 20V, not 5V. USB 2 never supported a choice of voltages.