A7rii lens wobble?

I am using the new A7rii with the FE 16-35 lens. I notice that there is a slight bit of rotational play in the lens mount. You can feel it if you zoom quickly (zoom ring is nice and stiff) or go to either extremes of the zoom range. And you can feel it if you wiggle the lens body on the pin/mount. There is no up down left right play like the older A7 models.

The metabones adapter has about the same wobble. I've had Canon cameras with this before and am wondering if a tiny bit of play is normal.

Thanks!

EDIT: It appears to be normal as described here, but I'd still love to see everyone's thoughts. I don't really notice it with the metabones and Canon 24-70 due to the much less stiff zoom ring.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56199343

I am using the new A7rii with the FE 16-35 lens. I notice that there is a slight bit of rotational play in the lens mount. You can feel it if you zoom quickly (zoom ring is nice and stiff) or go to either extremes of the zoom range. And you can feel it if you wiggle the lens body on the pin/mount. There is no up down left right play like the older A7 models.

The metabones adapter has about the same wobble. I've had Canon cameras with this before and am wondering if a tiny bit of play is normal.

Thanks!

EDIT: It appears to be normal as described here, but I'd still love to see everyone's thoughts. I don't really notice it with the metabones and Canon 24-70 due to the much less stiff zoom ring.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56199343

With the FE 24-240 is much worse due to the stiffness of the lens zoom

It may be normal but it is not desirable to have excess play in a lens mount on the camera or in an individual lens "bayonet" it results in a significant loss of resolution, smearing, light leaks, etc. I have noticed the same play on my brand new A7Rii and I think as lenses get changed it's only going to get worse as it "wears in". My initial solution is going to be to take the brass fotodiox Tough-mount LT off my nex7 and swap t for the stock mount on the A7Rii(using this same mount on my A7R) and there is neither wobble or play in it. What bothers me is that I have no way to tell if the lens mount is actually parallel to the focal plane /sensor in the camera. I would happily pay a camera tech who has the capability to shim the lens mount parallel .

This lens mount is a big upgrade over the original A7 /A7R/ A7S lens mount; the original was a thin flexible metal ring over a double sided foam tape/ gasket over flexible soft plastic female bayonet. They leaked light wore quickly allowed heavy lenses to sag or wobble. I will attempt to post some pics tomorrow when I switch the lens mounts around. The original E mount was designed for the nex series of cameras that had very compact and light lenses. The new lens mount and upgraded ergonomics of the A7ii and A7Rii; plus shutter upgrades are a major departure for a Japanese mfg. to actually be responsive to user and reviewer critiques.

This lens mount is a big upgrade over the original A7 /A7R/ A7S lens mount; the original was a thin flexible metal ring over a double sided foam tape/ gasket over flexible soft plastic female bayonet. They leaked light wore quickly allowed heavy lenses to sag or wobble. I will attempt to post some pics tomorrow when I switch the lens mounts around. The original E mount was designed for the nex series of cameras that had very compact and light lenses. The new lens mount and upgraded ergonomics of the A7ii and A7Rii; plus shutter upgrades are a major departure for a Japanese mfg. to actually be responsive to user and reviewer critiques.

How much of this did you yourself suffer?  Forums are funny places.  They are rather Jekyll and Hyde.  They start with 'don't you dare criticise my camera' and then every little fault is amplified....

Like I say speaking from my personal experience I have had no issues with lenses mounted - 16 - 35, 24 - 70, 70 - 200 and a double adapted Pentax 645 400mm lens....

There is a still little play, perhaps 50% of the small amount that was there with the mk I

How much of this did you yourself suffer?  Forums are funny places.  They are rather Jekyll and Hyde.  They start with 'don't you dare criticise my camera' and then every little fault is amplified....

Like I say speaking from my personal experience I have had no issues with lenses mounted - 16 - 35, 24 - 70, 70 - 200 and a double adapted Pentax 645 400mm lens....

There is a still little play, perhaps 50% of the small amount that was there with the mk I

Well stated.  Glad to know this non-issue is really a non-issue.  

There is some play on my A7. Never disturbed me, never had any issues with it.

But I don't have any play on the A7RM2. It doesn't disturb me either. :)

As I was used to that, I wouldn't mind some little play with my A7RM2, as long as the results I'm expecting are fullfilled.

But as your A7RM2 body has some play and my not, I would check that issue with sony. The camera is too expensive not to do so. If they say, there could be some play, then I will stick with my copy.

• 6 years later...