Lens Decision

I currently own a Sony A7Rlll with a Sony 24-105mm lens and I shoot mostly landscapes and travel photos. Looking to add a couple lenses to my gear. I am considering a Sony 16-35 f2.8 GM or a Sony 100-400 GM. I can only afford one Sony GM lens and would appreciate some comments on which to purchase. I am also considering a Sigma 100-400 DG DN OS instead of the Sony 100-400.  I don’t shoot wildlife or sports so AF speed is not a priority, mostly concerned with image quality. Thank you.

Cost is always a concern to me, as well.  I'd advise that you considered older lenses -- used and NEW.

I just bought a Minolta MAXXUM 17-35mm f2.8/4 zoom for $140 (used), and a Quantaray (re-badged Sigma) AF 70-300mm f4/5.6 Macro zoom for $5 (new).

They both work great on my Sony a850.

Both Minolta and Sigma were making GREAT lenses 50 years ago -- many of which you will never see Sony offer. 

FYI, Sony does not make lenses -- or cameras for that matter.  They have other companies, like Minolta, make them with the SONY name on them.  Sony is just like Vivitar, Soligor, Bell & Howell, Osawa, and many other marketing firms.  They don't make anything.  They just put their name on products made by other companies.

So I have a Sony a850 (actually made by Minolta) with lenses made by Minolta, Sigma, Yashica (whose lenses were made by Tomioka), Vivitar (made by Perkin-Elmer), Voigtlander (made by Cosina), Osawa (made by Tokina), Tamron, and several others.  I don't own any Sony lenses -- not just because Sony doesn't make lenses, but because I can find other great lenses for a lot less.

Edited by XKAES

It's definitely worth looking at the used market (reputable camera shops or MPB)

I've browsed and found the Sony 100-400 G master and 17-55 G for the price of a brand new 100-400 (Combination of MPB and Park cameras)

MPB serve UK and Europe and generally have a very good selection - I've found that the lenses they describe as "Good" are optically and mechanically excellent, the ones I've bought have had cosmetic wear and tear (scratches on the barrel and tripod mount) "Excellent" quality really have been excellent and have even come with the original packaging, instructions etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 7:02 AM, Markie Mark said:

I currently own a Sony A7Rlll with a Sony 24-105mm lens and I shoot mostly landscapes and travel photos. Looking to add a couple lenses to my gear. I am considering a Sony 16-35 f2.8 GM or a Sony 100-400 GM. I can only afford one Sony GM lens and would appreciate some comments on which to purchase. I am also considering a Sigma 100-400 DG DN OS instead of the Sony 100-400.  I don’t shoot wildlife or sports so AF speed is not a priority, mostly concerned with image quality. Thank you.

135mm GM

On 4/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, Markie Mark said:

Hi Mark,

This is the article that sold me  Sony 100-400GM Review , ever since I picked up this lens it's been one of my favorites. It's fairly big and cumbersome but I don't care because the results are worth the hassle.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 11:25 PM, Rogue_odyssey said:

Hi Mark,

This is the article that sold me  Sony 100-400GM Review , ever since I picked up this lens it's been one of my favorites. It's fairly big and cumbersome but I don't care because the results are worth the hassle.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna check it out

I beg to differ with you Sony does manufacture their own lenses. I own the Sony 100-400. It is one of my favorite lenses I own. I would pick up a gently used copy. Since you already own a 24-105, consider a 12-24 from Sony  or a 14-24 from Sigma.

Edited by Jeffreykmd

Just because a lens has the SONY name/label on it does not mean that SONY made it.  The same is true for Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Vivitar, Yashica, Soligor, Osawa, Quantaray, etc., etc. lenses.  There is nothing new about that. 

The name/label on a lens tells you little about the quality -- and even less about who made it.  Plenty of Minolta lenses were made by Cosina.  Plenty of Vivitar lenses were made by Kiron.  Plenty of Nikon lenses were made by Asahi.  Plenty of Canon lenses were made by Tomioka. 

Here's a SMALL sample for some lenses.  Sony bought Minolta's lens-making facilities.  That's where most of their lenses come from, but not all of them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!