Chromatic aberration problem on Sony A7rii

Hi everyone,

I'm getting extremly chromatic aberration when I shot an object with the sky in the background. Look at the tree, it become green and red.

I don't know if its a sensor problem, maybe the lens(Sony 50mm 1.8) or just a problem with all the Sony A7rii, but its pretty scary.

The picture I'm talking about:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aygvesze1ohvqqi/Tree.jpg?dl=0

I would be really thankful if someone knows anything.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

These issues tend to be a feature of a particular lens. Most lenses will have some form of chromatic aberration that's why there are lens profiles in software like Lightroom to remove it. I use A7RII bodies and have seen this problem when using some (cheaper) lenses. Only by using expensive lenses do I find that the problem no longer exists. Basically, cheaper made lenses tend to suffer from image issues.

A couple of other points to consider -- other than cheap glass.  First, all lenses suffer from some degree of chromatic aberration.  Faster lenses have more of it.  For example, a 50mm f2.0 will have less than a 50mm f1.2.  This can be reduced by stopping down the lens two or three f-stops.  Even inexpensive lenses usually produce good results if stopped down.

Also, magnification, magnifies the problem. A 50mm on a full frame camera will show less than on an AP-C camera, since the image is magnified on the non-full-frame camera.  Likewise, if you crop the image (post exposure), the abberation will appear more pronounced.

Third, always use a lens shade, and good quality filters.

Try these out before blaming the lens or the camera.

5 hours ago, paulowen_2000 said:

These issues tend to be a feature of a particular lens. Most lenses will have some form of chromatic aberration that's why there are lens profiles in software like Lightroom to remove it. I use A7RII bodies and have seen this problem when using some (cheaper) lenses. Only by using expensive lenses do I find that the problem no longer exists. Basically, cheaper made lenses tend to suffer from image issues.

Thanks fo the answer! I tried to correct the chromatic aberration with lightroom, and it didn't work. Maybe its too much..

1 hour ago, XKAES said:

A couple of other points to consider -- other than cheap glass.  First, all lenses suffer from some degree of chromatic aberration.  Faster lenses have more of it.  For example, a 50mm f2.0 will have less than a 50mm f1.2.  This can be reduced by stopping down the lens two or three f-stops.  Even inexpensive lenses usually produce good results if stopped down.

Also, magnification, magnifies the problem. A 50mm on a full frame camera will show less than on an AP-C camera, since the image is magnified on the non-full-frame camera.  Likewise, if you crop the image (post exposure), the abberation will appear more pronounced.

Third, always use a lens shade, and good quality filters.

Try these out before blaming the lens or the camera.

Thank you very much for the answe! I'll try with a lens shade and a good filter. I was pretty scared it could be something about the sensor..

Regarding using a hood and filter, the hood will prevent flare or colours washing out to some  degree but I cannot see how adding a filter will reduce chromatic aberration? My understanding is that this issues is a feature of the physical design and construction of the lens and its inability to focus all wavelengths of light at a given spot? Adding another piece of glass (filter) to the design will have little or no effect on correcting this issue? Please don't hold me to this! Just my thoughts!

Sorry I wasn't more clear.  I wasn't suggesting that a filter could correct CA, I was suggesting it can cause it.  To potentially solve this problem, it's best to use a high quality filter -- or none at all. 

As to the hood, since the sun is in the scene, a hood would not help in this instance, but it can when it is outside of the picture.