Sony Alpha a7III Shutter Problems and Lawsuit

Hello to all. I recently saw an article about a lawsuit filed against Sony due to shutter problems with the a7III. Does anyone know anything about this and has anyone had any problems with their a7III shutter?

Many thanks in advance.

Here is a link to an article on the lawsuit.  It seems as if it only applies to NY right now but if it progresses it could apply to all of the US.

Snarky answers about uncles aside, I would not expect any resolution on this for some time.

As for my A7iii, it is pretty new and no issues (so far).

Paul

https://fstoppers.com/gear/sony-being-sued-a7-iii-shutter-failures-cost-photographers-money-556652

The point of my snarky comment was to reflect the nature of the question: without reference it was unsubstantiated hearsay of an anecdotal case.

The lawsuit seems to be just that: a claim based on anecdotal evidence with zero chance of success. Equipment fails, period. If a shutter is rated at 200000 cycles, this doesn't mean each and every shutter will meet this lifespan: a representatively low percentage of units will fail before the rated number of cycles. These premature failures are covered under manufacurers warranty, so during the warranty period the shutter is guaranteed to last 200000 cycles.

I have to admit the case at hand is pretty hilarious in the irony of it: someone is sueing Sony for missed income due to a camera failure. But by doing so he completely disqualifies himself as a working professional: any self respecting pro knows that gear might occasionally fail and plans accordingly by bringing backup gear.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:47 AM, Musicman1 said:

Hello to all. I recently saw an article about a lawsuit filed against Sony due to shutter problems with the a7III. Does anyone know anything about this and has anyone had any problems with their a7III shutter?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by photocowb0y
On 3/30/2021 at 5:33 PM, pcmancini said:

Here is a link to an article on the lawsuit.  It seems as if it only applies to NY right now but if it progresses it could apply to all of the US.

Snarky answers about uncles aside, I would not expect any resolution on this for some time.

As for my A7iii, it is pretty new and no issues (so far).

Paul

https://fstoppers.com/gear/sony-being-sued-a7-iii-shutter-failures-cost-photographers-money-556652

I think that the A7iii is probably the best camera for beginners. The way it works is astonishingly effective.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Haven’t you tried using a program that would correct the barrel distortion of whichever lens you might choose to use or buy? There are many, but of the ones I know, I can recommend DXO Photolab, that corrects optical distortions of most lens suitable for Sony cameras and with which you can develop your raw files. I have checked with the version of the DxO Photolab I have, and (just as an example) it does include the profile for the Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 lens mounted on a Sony AS. I think that buying a program that efficiently corrects optical distortions of lenses would be a cheaper option than buying a lens that would have no distortion at all (which is kind of impossible if thinking of a zoom lens).
    • Had the same problem but it wasn't the dummy. Mine FIRST started with the dummy but soon migrated to EVERY battery swapped out. Lived with that massive inconvenience for a year before I sent the camera in for repair of a wonkified menu system. Though there's no user swappable memory battery there must be an internal one that keeps a wee amount of power keeping things charged when the battery flatlines.
    • Hello, I do a lot of clothing photography (the clothes are laid flat and the camera is overhead facing the ground about 3.5-4 ft above) and I currently use a Sony A6000 with a sigma 16mm lens. It works pretty good. There is some barrel distortion which I guess is to be expected.  I am looking to upgrade to a FF (likely Sony AS iii) and I'm exploring lens choice. I'm considering the sigma 24mm-70mm F2.8 DG DN art lens because I'm hoping to buy one lens to not only satisfy my clothing photography needs, but also do portraits, video, ect. ect. Sigma also seems somewhat equivalent to the Sony G series and lot cheaper.  Would using a prime lens really be beneficial over a zoom one for my clothing photography? I'd like to avoid barrel distortion if possible but I'm also trying to avoid buying a bunch of costly equipment. Open to all ideas and advice. 
    • Olaf!!!!! I just did a test with my GH5 with 120fps and it has the same effect!! So i guess its the IKEA light 🙂 Tanks for your input again.  
    • Hi Olaf. Thanks for the input.  Its artificial light from IKEA 🙂   I just tested again and the effect is much more visible shooting in 60 or 120fps. By 24fps its moderate. But the footage would be unusable. I really don't know what to do. 
  • Topics