Halfway through shoot images went black

This just happened. Was shooting food photography, my older A7rii, Sony Batis 135 2.8 lens. While shooting, the images showed up in the viewfinder fine. Everything looked good. Downloaded, halfway through, many images went black See screenshot attached. Anyone know what happened? Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Does your computer show the file size of the black shots?  Ex. "12,345,678Kb"?  If so, are they all the same size?  Have you tried to open any in any graphics software?  Do you have any utility software, such as SCANDISK?

They are the same pixel count as the other images. Forgot to mention  i ran the card through DataRescue with no luck. I never seen this before. Trying to figure out what went wrong...card? camera? to avoid next time....

It didn't 'fail' persay. While shooting, everything looked fine. Shoot, verify, next....only after downloading did this show up. I put a new card in the camera and it works fine.

This could very well be the card. I still haven't reformatted and tested the card, which I may not do simply because my wife texted me a few days afterward: "I'm wondering if that card with the black images is one of the ones that went through the washing machine..."

So,maybe that was it. I don't know that I'll ever know. I have never seen anything like this. Lesson: Check all pockets before washing jeans....:)

thanks

Rob

You have the camera / software to automatically rotate images taken vertically? Noticed all the viewable ones are primarily oriented correctly whereas the black ones are universally vertical. Could be a disconnect in that bit of code that determines this.

Use a different card and take multiple shots in various orientations and see what happens. This could detect if it's a card issue or camera issue. Roll video as well.

- - - - -

I've had cards go through the wash and even dry cycle without issues.

Edited by VTC