Sony a7iii Eye AF won't activate at all

Hi, I've had my a7iii for over a year now and I had gotten used to never using my eye AF. Just recently I've looked into WHY I've never used it and I realized that my eye AF doesn't seem to want to work. I have my eye EF settings all turned on in the menus but when I press the AF-on button (which I have set to Eye AF), it shows the error in the picture below.

When I change the exposure mode to shutter priority or aperture priority, it gives me the same error but instead of manual it says shutter or aperture.

EDIT: I've noticed that it works in Manual mode but when I switch to one of my custom modes (1 or 2) or the movie mode, it doesn't work. Is this supposed to be happening or should it also be working?

I have no clue how to get around this and if anybody knows I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MendesMa

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem as well. Everything I refer to on how to use it tells me I need to press the Focus Hold button, which I've discovered is only available on some Sony lenses. It is not on the camera itself. Eye focus is not a priority function for me and so I haven't pursued it any further.