A7ii camera unable to communicate with Sony lenses. Suggestions?

Bought my second a7ii last January as used. In excellent condition with only just over 7000 activations. Has been working fine until today when, with just over 8000 activations now, it has started to play up. Took my first shot with a Sony 24-70 f4 attached with no issues using manual focus and then everything went blurred! Tried to switch back to AF on the Function menu but only had a grayed-out MF. Tried the OK and got the dreaded 'Invalid because lens not attached. Attach the lens correctly.'  

Thought it could be the lens and tried a virtually new Sony 50mm f1.8 that I had with me. Showed 'AF-S and f1.8 for about two seconds then the same. Tried it with a non electronic manual lens with no problems. When I arrived home I carefully cleaned all the concerned contacts on the camera and lenses. No difference. Both lenses are snug fit on the camera with no rotational movement so don't think its a mechanical issue.

Did a full camera reset. No difference. Software version is 4.01, so up to date.

I've contacted the seller to try and find out if it's still in warranty and if he still has the receipt before I send it to a repair centre. But no guarantees it's in warranty and if he has the receipt.

Any experience of similar or suggestions? I had sold my last a7ii and gone over to Fuji for a year but wanted to come back to Sony. Now, after a couple of months I'm not so sure...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• I recently got an a7cii and to pair with the compact body, I thought of getting 2 of the trio compact lenses, 24mm F2.8 and 40mm F4.0. (I already have a 70-200mm) However I stumbled upon the newly released 24-50mm F2.8 G. I'm not sure which to get - I like the small factor of the prime lenses ON the body because it's discreet and helps me blend in as an average tourist / doesn't make it obvious when doing street. But if I add the dimensions of the 2 primes together, it takes up more space in the bag than the zoom lens. BUT THEN, the weight of the 2 prime lenses is 110g lesser than the zoom lens. The zoom lens has the added benefit of being more versatile.   So now I'm stumped. Each has their pros and cons and I can't decide which to get. I'd like to hear the views of you guys who are more experts at this.   Edit: I'm a bit concerned about weight because the last time I went overseas my shoulders were aching from carrying too much. Which is why I was looking for small compact primes in the first place.
    • Hi, I have got a6300 which shutter stopped working. I managed to change shutter but unfortunatelly broke shutter motor tape but I fixed that. After repair the shutter is working but not in a proper way, watch with sound. I bought the second shutter and tried to test it before dissaembling again and it doesn't react to magnet but it works fine when I apply 3V. Are there different type of shutter for a6000 - a6400? Back to the question what is wrong with my shutter after first repair? I don't want to put next shutter unfoundedly. Do your sony cameras perform such a self-check after start up?  IMG_5579 (1).webm
    • PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP I had the same issue Couldnt find the videos  even thought it played on the camera  found them all in here   
  • Topics