Huge video quality drop on A6400 while filming with using ClearImage Zoom

JakubM

Dear all,

I've just come back with my footage from my last trip where I used a couple of new elements in my setup (yes, I should have tested everything at home) and I'm pretty disappointed. I must say that I don't have "huge" experience (I've got literarily almost "0") with filming, although I've been photographing for last ~20 years.

Context/setup: I was filming using A6400 with two lesnes: Sony 10-18/4+Hama Vario ND2-400 or Sigma 35mm/1.4 without any filter for evening/low-light shots and sometimes digital Zoom option enabled (with ClearImage setting on). I was filming in 1080p, 60fps, PP10, at manual exposure always at 1/120s and f4 with ISO 100 and ND set to compensate exposure in a very bright (sunny) environment. Night shots with Sigma 35mm/1/4 required higher ISO.

Now, looking at the footage at my big screen I cannot not notice that literarily all videos taken with Digital Zoom enabled (always at maximum x2 zoom) are worst than crap - they all look like 320x240 footage scaled-up to FullHD. I'm not absolutely sure whether the blurriness comes from lack of focus of just problems with resolution. On the small camera built-in screen the drop in the quality was not noticable.

I know that Vario ND filters don't provide superior quality, but the problem does not come from the filter - I have a lot of videos, recorded with the filter on with very good (for my expectations) quality.

Did I do anything wrong? My results are surprisingly consistent as I said. I'd appreciate any hints.

Bests,

Jakub