Sony A7 III eye detect is awful, anybody else finding this?

At Xmas I bought a Sony A7 III with a Sony FE 85mm f1.8 Prime Lens and a Sony FE 50mm f1.8 Lens and I find the eye detect system to be terrible to the point I'm thinking of sending all this kit back for a refund. 

Even with a close head-and-shoulders shot of an English girl with pale completion and big wide eyes the Sony just can't lock a little green square onto her eyes, it only ever finds a face with a large green square around the face, but rarely the eyes. I have to keep lowing my camera, giving it a shake (for what good that does) and bringing camera back up to my eye, or asking the model to turn her face square on to camera, only then does a little green square appear over an eye, but it's only ever there for a second, then it vanishes and goes back to the large green square over entire face.

If I do a tight face crop, cutting through forehead and chin, then it finds an eye, but anything less than that and it's garbage. I only bought this Sony as good old Jarad Polin on YouTube said Sony's focusing eye detect system was number one, I'm finding it to be the worse I've tried. I had a Nikon Z7, but got rid of it due to it cutting out all the time with battery grip attached, but the Z7 eye detect was a zillion times better than this Sony I now have.

I know there is nothing wrong with the camera, it's not a fault, but before I send all this stuff back for a refund and look at a Canon R6 instead, could it be possible it's a setting somewhere? I'm pretty savvy with settings and even though some folk say Sony's menu is a pain in the but, I find it just as easy to use as my old Canon EOS 5D MK4, which had a nice easy menu.

So, are there any menu settings for 'eye detect sensitivity' that I might have missed?