Focus Cancel

Hi, I am new to photography and got a Sony A6400 for Christmas. It came with a budget lens - 16-50mm f3.5-5.6. I've played around with various focus settings, and while taking shots, I keep getting a "focus cancel" message on the screen. At this point, a small green box appears in one of the four corners. I have to hit the screen for the message to go away and focusing to start working again. But, will continue to come back as I taking pictures. I've tried to find info online about what this message is and why it's happening, but I can't find anything. Can anyone help me figure this out? Much appreciated!

Sounds like you're accidentally tapping the screen while taking photo's: this will cause the camera to focus on the spot where you tapped it. You can disable tap to focus in the menu.

Are you by any chance left-eyed? This might cause your nose to touch the screen while using the viewfinder. If this is the case, you can set the camera to only allow e.g. the right half of the screen to be tapped while using the viewfinder.