Banding on photos with background screen video with silent shutter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Photographing with my "old" alpha 7RII a show in which there was a screen with a video projection in the background, I found the following problem: If I shoot with the shutter at over 50, I get a few streaks on the projection, but the funny thing is that it only does when the camera is set to silent shooting. If I turn off silent shutter mode, it no longer does ... Can anyone explain this strange behavior to me? I need to be able to take silent photos during the show and I need to shoot at high speeds ... any solution? Thank you so much.

with banding.jpg

whitout banding.jpg

Thank you very much Olaf. I will have to look for a camera that has a high speed read progress with the electronic shutter. I can’t use the mechanic  shutter in live shows like ballet or classical music concerts ... I usually only do video, but sometimes some clients ask me to take pictures and I need to find the camera that solves this problem. Do you know any? ... could the Sony a9II be a good option?
Thank you very much.

The readout speed of the silent shutter of the A9 is about 3 times as fast as any of the other Sony Alpha cameras (and pretty much any other fullframe camera available at this moment, Canon and Nikon included). This helps a lot in reducing flicker/striping and makes it pretty much the only fullframe camera available that can be used reliably with silent shutter. With the A9, only very high frequency lighting (like some LED billboards) will cause significant banding. Not exactly sure how this affects video but for photography it should fix most of your issues.

Looks like the need to use mechanical shutter. More noise but fashion a sound blimp to cover the body. Shouldn't take much as any stage environmental audio should mask whatever the blimp doesn't catch. I assume it's tripod use so awkwardness of a blimp shouldn't be a factor.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Nate Crocs
      Has anyone had and issue with their Sony camera flickering outside? I've been scouring the internet for the last 2 days trying to figure it out and have yet to find anything. Im shooting on a Sony a7iii, with a Sigma 100-400 Canon. MC-11 adapter. All of which are updated to the newest firmware. The issue only happens when shooting 1080, 120fps. 60, 30, and 24fps work fine. My shutter speed is the correct 1/250. ISO is manually set, and so are white balance, and all other settings. Nothing is set to auto. Here is the link to an example video: https://youtu.be/dKlSIuqQIAc.  I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks! 
    • By Spiritualized67
      Hi folks - my first post in this Alpha forum. Just got the A7riii with 50mm f/1.4.  Love it so far. Coming from a Nikon D810.

I'm still confused about how I'm going to set up EFCS - whether on or off?  Not really confused about Silent Shutter, because I didn't get this camera to have to revert back to 12-bit images or worry about banding issues in mixed lighting.  Maybe the anti-flicker option helps? 

That being said, what is your experience with EFCS?    

I've read up on the technical and it is recommended for tripod use for sure (especially at lower shutter speeds).  But not so sure about handheld at lower shutter speeds, like 1/30s through 1/100s?

Certainly in-camera stabilization (along with optimal Auto ISO/wide open apertures) could help mitigate any sharpness issues caused by not having it set to ON at those lower handheld speeds (for example, when shooting in low light).

While not always the case, there will be times (e.g. street portrait work) where I’ll also be shooting wide open (f/1.4-f/2.8) at much higher shutter speeds in strong light.

From what I've read, Sony and others don't recommend having ON when shooting wide open with high shutter speeds.  Yes - you'll get those harsh Bokeh effects and maybe some uneven exposure artifacts.
      Some say don't turn on after 1/500s, some say 1/1000s – and others just leave ON all the time (set and forget) or use the Mechanical Shutter exclusively.  I’m leaning towards the latter.

I know I’m probably splitting hairs with the whole sharpness discussion, but I’ll set it to ON if it makes a difference at slower handheld speeds like 1/30s. Probably need it OFF when shooting fast wide open. On my Nikon I used their version with MLU, but for tripod use only.

What is your experience – especially for handheld street work with a fast prime?  

~Daniel
      www.danielstainer.com 

• By Peter_Georgiev
      Hello,
      We own two Sony A7R IIIs. Mostly we are shooting a video in 1080p ( XAVC - S 25p 50M ) FF and S35.
      In all profiles we have a terrible banding. The video is unusable. We want to stay with Sony, but this problem must have a solution.Please share your opinion about what to do - some setup or new firmware from Sony or to make a claim and return the product to manufacturer. Thank you.
    • By Gdavison4
      Sony A7Riii Banding: the banding problem is nothing new. Since the A9 came out, using the electronic shutter with LEDs in the photo leads to banding. Here's my experience with the A7Riii and banding. I was trying to get some sweet bokeh from the Christmas tree lights. 

I turned off the silent shooting and everything worked well...until something else happened. I don't even know what to call it. I could see the black band/shutter(?) move across the EVF. 

Does anyone know what this is? Again, these were taken with mechanical shutter. 

• By bwud
      I shot some pretty underexposed shots today (playing around with stacking technique, this isn't ordinarily how I'd shoot), and when pushing them in lightroom (and the same thing appears in Capture One).

Could it be heat from the card slot? I've not seen this is any other situation, but again don't typically underexpose so significantly. Anyone else seeing this?

Attached are: default conversion & +100 shadows +2.14 exposure (Lightroom)

Other details: compressed raw, silent shutter (so I've lost precision), burst to a single card, every shot in the burst has the same noise.

• Topics