Why blurry in parts of photo?

Just wondering why things are more blurry with the upper part of this photo while the lower part is sharp. I'm shooting with an A7RIV, 24-70GM. The settings are 24MM 1/1250SEC, at F/7.1, ISO 3200. I thought it may be dirty lens or fog on the lens but it didn't appear so. I cleaned my lens a few times and at a separate time under other conditions, I shot other photos with the same results. Not every photo is like this so it seems like a focus setting perhaps. This photo has center focus settings while I've also had this problem with wide focus as well. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be the culprit and what a good solution is?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm no expert but: It looks to me as though the photo is taken at an angle (ie: the top of the photo is further away than the bottom), the F stop is towards the mid to lower range so the depth of field is not very great. The sharpest part of the photo is about 1/3 up the photo so the focus dies of towards the top. I think if you had shot the photo at f/16 or even f/11, more of the image would have been in focus.

This would have slowed down your shutter speed but not to the degree that camera shake would have become an issue with 24mm hand held.

For a better understanding of depth of field etc. I have found the following website really useful - particularly the free on-line photography course:   https://chrisbrayphotography.com/tips/