Photography is just a hobby for me, but my work gives me lots of perfect opportunities to take photos of deer, birds and other wildlife early in the morning, with my full frame Alpha 99, or CSC- Alpha 68

I have an opportunity to spend some of my earnings on a second hand f/2.8 70-200mm zoom.

The options are both in excellent condition, the choice being : 1, Sony f/2.8 G SSM at £650 (was £1530 list price new - back in 2006)

or: 2, Tamron F2.8 SP DI USD at £550 (£1150 new- back in 2014)

If the choice was with new lenses I would buy the Tamron just because it was so much more affordable - but second hand, the difference makes the Sony G master more affordable.

Reviews of the lenses when they were new suggest that the G master is a better quality lens, so I am seriously tempted.

The Tamron scores on being excellent optics for a much lower price (less relevant for the used gear)

Any thoughts? eg:- Is the "super sonic wave motor" in the Sony better than the "ultra sonic drive" of the Tamron?

Cheers

From direct comparison on an American site and from what I can tell from reviews, it looks like the Tamron F2.8 SP Di USD will be my choice over the Sony.

The optics appear to be very similar, but the Tamron's USD focussing appears to be quieter and as quick (although not as accurate in low light).

So the main factors for me are: Apparently the Sony was optimised for cropped sensor, although advertised for use with full frame as well.  Weather sealing (Yes on the Tamron, no on the Sony) and the colour of the body is more discreet - and, of course, it's £100 cheaper.

If the Sony SSM II was in my budget, that would be a different story.

Anyway, when I've taken the plunge I'll let you know if I'm happy with the choice!

Edited by thebeardedgroundsman
  • 2 weeks later...

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 arrived yesterday. Feels great in my hands and early results looking good, but have not yet put it to the test as lockdown means I won't get out until tomorrow, for work.

Need to get ARCA plate for the tripod mount.

Edited by thebeardedgroundsman