A7SIII RAW are darker by 2 stops in Adobe PS and LR

Guys, I have updated firmware on my Sony a7siii and I'm using newest LR but still whenever I import photos from sd to LR, preview looks normal but once I go to "develop" colours go darker by 2 stops at least. Sure I can push the shadows and exposure but that shouldn't be the case as I made sure my exposure is good. No settings are turned on in camera to cause this colour wise and even i tried changing setting is LR to default when importing but still raw image when going to "Develop" tab looks dark. Same thing is in Photoshop. I can't for life of me find a solution and no real solutions are found online. It drives me mad. I'm shooting with certain settings, zebras. Slog profile but none of that should affect raw file anyways.

Any ideas guys I'd love to hear

Are you shooting in RAW?

I'm no expert but I believe, RAW files contain "un-processed" information, whereas the image when previewing on in your camera have been processed into JPEG. Therefore, when you import your RAW file it will often look darker and will need processing anyway.

An interesting exercise is to shoot some images in RAW and JPEG (one of your options in the 'Quality' settings in your camera's menu) compare both images out of camera and you will see a marked difference. Most people would feel dissatisfied with the RAW image at this stage - but the advantage is that you have more flexibility and creativity in post processing - the changes are governed entirely by you, and not by the software in your camera.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:06 PM, thebeardedgroundsman said:

Are you shooting in RAW?

I'm no expert but I believe, RAW files contain "un-processed" information, whereas the image when previewing on in your camera have been processed into JPEG. Therefore, when you import your RAW file it will often look darker and will need processing anyway.

An interesting exercise is to shoot some images in RAW and JPEG (one of your options in the 'Quality' settings in your camera's menu) compare both images out of camera and you will see a marked difference. Most people would feel dissatisfied with the RAW image at this stage - but the advantage is that you have more flexibility and creativity in post processing - the changes are governed entirely by you, and not by the software in your camera.

You need to turn off D-Range Optimizer before shooting. It only works with jpegs, so it makes RAW underexposed. 

Okay I figured it out. DRO was off but it seams gamma specifically in picture profiles messes up exposure. PP itself should have no impact on RAWs but only gamma inside PP plays a role so after switching PP off from PP8 (slog3 where gamma is different than PP off on default) I was able to get same exposed RAWs as when shot which is how it should be. So Picture profile was to blame. Thanks for all advices lads and hopefully this will serve someone with similar issue

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Hi there. I have a similar issue with my ZV1, I think? It's annoying - to the point where I'm wondering if I a have a fault with my device and am considering returning it under warrantee. I use it to film yoga instructional videos. They are sometimes 90 minutes long. I know that inorder to run for this length of time, the camera needs to be plugged into the mains. So I plug the camera into the mains and double check that the mains charge is showing - the battery icon confirms this : it has a little plug symbol beside it. So - I should be good to go. However.  The camera still turns off after an hour or so, saying the battery is flat. Interrupting the filming. Which ruins the whole video. At that point, if I go back to the camera now its battery is flat and pull out the charging cable from the mains and put it back in again, I can continue recording for 90 minutes plus as required. My issue is: the Sony ZV1 is not using the mains while the battery is charged. It continues to run on battery power. Then switches itself off (infuriatingly). And then - only at that point when I plug it in again and turn it on again does it start using the mains as it's power source. I'm 99% sure this is what is taking place but still on a learning curve are trying many workarounds this problem... not of which have been successful yet. I'd really appreciate some help with this. The next thing I'm going to check is deliberately flattening the battery before I start filming. But this seems a clumsy workaround. Otherwise - absolutely loving this camera! A huge improvement on my old camera. But only if I can RELY on it! Best wishes Frances  
    • From direct comparison on an American site and from what I can tell from reviews, it looks like the Tamron F2.8 SP Di USD will be my choice over the Sony. The optics appear to be very similar, but the Tamron's USD focussing appears to be quieter and as quick (although not as accurate in low light). So the main factors for me are: Apparently the Sony was optimised for cropped sensor, although advertised for use with full frame as well.  Weather sealing (Yes on the Tamron, no on the Sony) and the colour of the body is more discreet - and, of course, it's £100 cheaper. If the Sony SSM II was in my budget, that would be a different story. Anyway, when I've taken the plunge I'll let you know if I'm happy with the choice!
    • Just an update to this, I have updated to firmware 1.02, but I get still get the 2nd base ISO at 10000. It seems that I have the only A7Siii in the world that does this😬😬
    • I got a new Sony RX 100VII but I will keep the 100II. I have been looking into the specifications of both chargers but didn't come to a conclusion. Since teh batteries and the same, can I use the charger of the most recent camera to charge the old one ? Thank you !  
    • I have this problem as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one but it appears like this is a common issue. Sorry to respond 4 years later but I'm hoping to resurrect this now to see if there's been a solution since 4 years ago!
  • Topics