Setting Different ISO or Aperture Settings

Hi I’m new to photography and I’ve started using a Sony a6000.   I’m sorry if this question has been asked before but I’m not sure of the best way to search it.  

I was under the impression that when using different modes you could have individual settings for all of the camera parameters.  But it seems that if I change a parameter in one mode it also changes in all other modes.  

Example, If I have ISO set for auto in Aperture mode but change ISO to 250 in Manual mode it also changes to 250 in Aperture mode.  It’s like this with all settings. So is this the way it’s supposed to work?  If so what’s the reason for multiple modes if I can’t save individual settings to them?  Or am I doing something wrong?  (Which is entirely possible)

Thanks,

Jeremy 

The behaviour you describe is indeed as intended. The only thing the A/S/M modes determine is which exposure parameter (Aperture and Shutter speed) is controlled manually and which is controlled automatically. All other settings carry over from one mode to the other.

This is where MR-mode comes in: you can store several different sets of parameters/settings in one memory profile and recall them all at once. Granted, with the a6000 this is a bit more tedious than with any of the more recent models (except a6100), where you can directly dial in a memory preset, rather than selecting MR-mode and having to choose which memory preset you want to recall.

17 minutes ago, Pieter said:

The behaviour you describe is indeed as intended. The only thing the A/S/M modes determine is which exposure parameter (Aperture and Shutter speed) is controlled manually and which is controlled automatically. All other settings carry over from one mode to the other.

This is where MR-mode comes in: you can store several different sets of parameters/settings in one memory profile and recall them all at once. Granted, with the a6000 this is a bit more tedious than with any of the more recent models (except a6100), where you can directly dial in a memory preset, rather than selecting MR-mode and having to choose which memory preset you want to recall.

Thanks so much for your reply! I wanted to make sure it wasn’t faulty or I hadn’t Unknowingly set something I shouldn’t have.   I’ll dig into MR and see what that gets me. Thanks!

I found a nice free-online course by Chris Bray; https://chrisbrayphotography.com/courses/online/

I found it really useful for understanding the various non auto modes among other things. It's not Sony specific but covers the settings that are generally found on DSLRs (and mirrorless). It is aimed at those of us who are just moving away from Auto mode.

Hope you enjoy your a600, good luck and happy photo making.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:59 AM, thebeardedgroundsman said:

I found a nice free-online course by Chris Bray; https://chrisbrayphotography.com/courses/online/

I found it really useful for understanding the various non auto modes among other things. It's not Sony specific but covers the settings that are generally found on DSLRs (and mirrorless). It is aimed at those of us who are just moving away from Auto mode.

Hope you enjoy your a600, good luck and happy photo making.

Thank you! I appreciate think link.