Sony A6000 Sports Lens Recommendations

Adrianfw

Good evening am brand new here but desperate for some help.

I have an A6000 with an 18/55, 50mm f1.8 & an 18-105 f4.

I use the 18-105 to shoot football(soccer) in daylight with some decent results and have used the 50 to shoot some at night(under floodlights) with varying degrees of success. So i am looking for a lens recommendation without smashing holes in my bank balance. I was thinking of the 70-180 f2.8 but could someone recommend me something else?

Thanks

Adrian

The Tamron 70-180 would indeed be your best bet if you need a fast aperture, your budget is limited and 180 mm is enough reach for your purposes.

Bear in mind that neither your a6000 nor the Tamron 70-180 is stabilized, so you may need to use a high shutter speed to prevent camera shake blur. When photographing sports events this shouldn't be a limitation as you'll need fast shutter speeds anyway to prevent motion blur by your subject, but the image in your viewfinder may be pretty jumpy.

Thanks Pieter, i appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I have around £15-1700 to spend on a lens & the Tamron looked like it fit the bill. I mainly shoot lower league in Scotland matches so am generally pretty close to the action most of the time.

Don't want to trigger your GAS but if you manage to get a good deal on the Tamron, you might want to consider buying a used a6500 with whatever you have left. I upgraded from an a6000 to a6500 a couple of years ago. The stabilized sensor, improved autofocus and much better ergonomics (deeper grip, more custom buttons) were all worth it. Oddly, those ergonomical improvements weren't adopted in the newer a6400. The a6500 also has a much deeper buffer than the newer cameras: 301 JPEGs versus 116 in a6400/a6600.