firmware update as a reason to buy Sony

One reason I purchased the Sony A9 was reading a review that mentioned that unlike old cameras that went out of date, a firmware update in essence could result in an entirely new camera. The first A9 firmware update was wonderful and added new functions. I now have the feeling that Sony has given up on the A9. They have offered for sale an A9 ll and in 2021 will offer an A9 lll. Sony disappoints me. Is this lack of support for firmware updates the norm?

It seems the "futureproofing" ability of the firmware is more of a selling point than anything.  It's useful until the succeeding model arrives, then soyonara.  I love the images from my 7RM2, but have resigned myself to the reality that there will not be any more updates that will move this camera beyond what it is.  7RM2 introduced '15 - last update '16, M3 introduced 17 . . .  

It is sort of the norm, yes. Each generation of cameras usually gets an update to fix some bugs and improve some functionalities, and if you're lucky you get another update that actually adds new functionalities. But that's about it.

Why would you be disappointed though? Sounds like a 'glass-half-empty' kind of statement. The a9 still is a wonderful camera that got loads of extra functionalities with last years free firmware update. Sony didn't have to do that, but they did. If I had an a9, I'd still be grateful to Sony for providing an update to a last-gen model, with the a9II just around the corner.

Alas, perhaps in the real world marketplace I was asking for too much. Nevertheless I think Sony could distinguish itself by demonstrating a greater effort than industry standard to support people buying their high end cameras.

I do appreciate your thoughts Pieter and Cabinum.