Sharper images with sony a7r3, 200+600 g

Hi,

I've just recently got the 200-600 sony lens and I have tested it a couple of time on different occasions with different light conditions, but I have been struggling to get some sharp images.

I've seen some videos where people say they can lower the shutter speed to between 1/80 to 1/200 or something for handheld bird photogrphy and still get good and sharp results, but I've been finding hard, even with higher shutter speeds. Trying to focus on the subject has been a bit hard also. 

I normally set the ISO in auto, AF-C is on track sens. 3 and I've been using the small flexible spot.

Would appreciate some good tips please. 

• 3 weeks later...

People are saying shoot f/8 for sharpness but that is if they aren't flying.  Birds in Flight photography w/ the A7R3/4 is very hard unless you are using a Dot Sight but even then imo it's not worth it.  I'm not sure what birds you have though but for me it's not worth.  The birds are flying at like 500mph twisting and turning and the photos don't come out so great.  Unless you are shooting w/ $12k lenses, the A7R3/4 will not lock on in time like the A9 I/II.  It's not worth taking photos of things going way too fast.

If your ISO is too high the image looks very grainy.  High ISO because your shutter speed is high.  The bright sky w/ the bottom of the bird has bad HDR (unlit bird which forces you to increase the shadow noise).  Haven't tried increasing the EV to compensate properly but bird shots are difficult so I've given up there.

Edited by AntDX316

• 1 year later...

Details make this discussion more useful.

"not sharp" can be caused by being out-of-focus or from motion blur -- or both.

Then there is auto-focus vs manual-focus.

Some tests are in order to determine which is the problem.

Do you get sharp pictures on a tripod with fast shutter speeds in both manual and auto-focus?

Start there!

Edited by XKAES