Lens for home workout video

llayton

Hello folks,

I am a Sony a7 III user, what lens should I use bought the 16-35 F4, but  there is a lot of (barrel) distortion and I do not have the space for shooting at a wider than 35mm (if I want to fit my subject + some air in the frame).

So I guess the best (wide angle) lens for minimum distortion?

Probably the zeiss batis 40mm would be my best bet, but really do not have the space at home for it?

Or should I break some walls and use my 85mm lens 

Regards,

Llayton

The 'barrel distortion' you refer to is in fact not barrel distortion but perspective distortion due to the wide angle lens you're using. There's no fix for that except using the longest focal length possible within the spatial constraints of your room.

If I were you I'd get a fast (because of indoor shooting) zoom lens (for versatility), like the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8. That way you can find the optimal focal length for your use case without sacrificing too much in low-light performance.

Edited by Pieter

• 1 month later...

The best wide w/ no distortion?  

Sigma 14mm f/1.8 or the 12-24mm Sony one.  At 14mm it's so far back though.  Probably 20mm G would be good but you are stuck at 20mm.  24-240mm I would recommend as you have extreme flexibility.  It depends how tight you are but good workout vids are probably shooting at 50mm.  If the perspective is too far back it doesn't look that great.  Imo, 14mm for video is too far.  It's the best for interior photography or the 12-24mm one is but that cost 2x more.  In the comparison the Sigma outperformed but of course, it's a prime lens.  Being stuck at a certain focal length for video is very bad unless you are shooting something w/ crazy bokeh and low light stop reduction like f/1.4 on a 50mm.  Amazing lens if you are ok being stuck at 50mm.

Edited by AntDX316