Philip Nassau

I shot in RAW on my Sony aRII for the first time today.  The images looked fine in the camera and when I downloaded them to my computer the previews looked fine but when I open the file I just get a pink mess.  Can anyone help me understand why or suggest a solution.  Will be a shame to lose these images as I don't think the opportunity will present itself again.

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A raw is not a picture in itself, but raw sensor data (hence the name). You have to develop it into a jpg File before you can view it directly. It just might be, the program you're using is unable to interpret the raw files correctly. 

The images you are seeing on your camera or in the windows explorer are smaller preview jpeg files which are automatically developed and then embedded into the raw files by the camera.

Use a raw converter like capture one (I think it's free for Sony users) or raw therapee to develop your RAWS.

Yes, raw files from Sony (.ARW) display as a pink mess in my photo viewer too, but that's nothing to be concerned about. Download Sony Imaging Edge Desktop software (free) here - https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-us/ie-desktop.html . You can do a lot of stuff in this software like adjusting white balance, contrast, shadows, highlights, the creative look, sharpness, etc. because it's shot in raw. Then go to file > output and convert to .jpg. The help section also tells you how to batch convert.