A6000 is Long on the Tooth

Love to Cook

I want to replace my A6000 although it has worked extremely well over the years, it is getting long on the tooth.  So I am looking to upgrade to a newer body.  I was thinking of the AS series however I need to be able to use the lenses I have purchased and want to stay around 1000 dollars so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by 'AS-series'? You mean A7S? Unless you invested in fullframe lenses, your current APS-C lenses will be pretty much useless on a 12MP A7S.

In what regard is your A6000 lacking? Pretty hard to advise anyone without knowing what he's looking for or what his specific use case is. Anyone can say 'I have camera X and I love it, so you should buy it'.

Thank you for your response.  I was looking to upgrade to the A7S however I was not aware that my current lens would not work with the AS series because they are not full frame format.  It came with the kit lens but I also bought the SEL 35F18 and the SEL 10-18 neither of which are full frame.  

As to my current A6000 It is jumping between screens Not sure the cause however it is frustrating and takes to much time to reset thus loosing the shot i want to take

1 hour ago, Love to Cook said:

my current lens would not work with the AS series because they are not full frame format.

They will work but only in 'crop mode', meaning you'll only use about half the area of the fullframe sensor.

1 hour ago, Love to Cook said:

As to my current A6000 It is jumping between screens Not sure the cause however it is frustrating and takes to much time to reset thus loosing the shot i want to take

Sounds like an issue with auto-EVF toggle. Did you try taking off the eyepiece and giving the proximity sensor a good cleaning? It's a tiny black square right beside the EVF.

If that doesn't work, try turning off auto switching monitor/viewfinder. If you often use the EVF, perhaps map a custom key to toggle between the two.

Given the fact that your lenses are stabilized, I guess a camera with sensor-based stabilisation isn't worth the extra investment in your case. This leaves the A6100 and A6400 as replacement options for your A6000. Both offer significantly better autofocus than the A6000 but only marginally better image quality.

Get the A6400 if you value good build quality (some weather resistance, magnesium alloy body and better EVF). If you're fine with the build quality of the A6000, get the A6100 and save some money. The metal mount baffles already are a big improvement in the A6100 over the plastic ones in the A6000. Image quality of A6100 and A6400 is virtually identical.

I opted for an A6500 as replacement for my A6000 at the time, because of the versatility a stabilised sensor offers. The majority of the lenses I own now aren't stabilised (E.G. Samyang 12mm f/2, Sony 24mm f/1.8, Sigma 56mm f/1.4, Sony 16-55mm f/2.8) so I'm glad I made that choice at the time. The A6500 has slightly worse AF than the A6100/A6400 but otherwise it's very similar and if you're lucky it can be found new at almost the same price as the A6400.

Edited by Pieter

Why exactly would you want an A7S over a regular A7? If you really want to go fullframe, rely on autofocus a lot and don't primarily do video, I'd only consider an A7III. Any of the older bodies are a downgrade (or sidegrade at best) compared to your A6000 when it comes to autofocus. This might be beyond your budget so you should really ask yourself: 'do I want to go fullframe?' But I guess the more important question is: 'in what sense do I feel my A6000 is holding me back the most?'. Only then is it possible to answer the question if migrating to fullframe is a sensible investment in your case.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Pieter, going full frame is a big deal, since you invested in apsc lenses it makes sense to stay with apsc longer to learn things/get better, I would suggest a6600 if budget allows or a6100/a6400 as Pieter described, a6600 is a good camera to have before going full frame in future because you can experiment with many things on it - eye af, big battery, selfie screen, 4k, mic port, the list goes on.