A6000 doesn't always turn on

Paul S

I have a 4-year old A6000 that since this summer has been intermittently not been turning on.  At one point, the on/off switch was stiff but then it wasn't.  I thought this might be related to the broken lever underneath the switch, but I'm not entirely convinced that it is.  I have found that if I remove the battery and leave the camera for >1hr and then re-insert the battery, the camera will almost certainly turn on.  At that point I have to enter the current date/time and then it's ready to go.  It will work for a bit and I can even turn it off/on but then it stops turning on again if I leave it off for an extended period of time like >30min.  This happens with both batteries and they are both fully charged.

I believe I am on the newest firmware version (v3.21).  There is a YouTube video showing a user stripping the camera down, replacing the cable assembly for that switch and then reassembling it, and I'm prepared to do it if I can order the part, but I'd rather not go to that extreme if the issue is something else.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by Paul S