Sony ZV1 recording stopping after few minutes only

Hi,
I don't know if you can, but I need your help. 
I recently bought a ZV1. When I start recording a video, it always stops recording after a few minutes. I have a 64 gb card with little to no memory used-up. I have no idea how to make the recording stop after a few minutes. Can someone help me? 
Thank you.

Cyril Wohrer
Mst, Oxford 

3 hours ago, Cyril |Wohrer said:

Hi,
I don't know if you can, but I need your help. 
I recently bought a ZV1. When I start recording a video, it always stops recording after a few minutes. I have a 64 gb card with little to no memory used-up. I have no idea how to make the recording stop after a few minutes. Can someone help me? 
Thank you.

Cyril Wohrer
Mst, Oxford 

Greetings!

Try to use memory cards marked U3 and V30. For example, Sony G or SanDisk Extreme PRO

What movie format are you using... the format and file size dictates the maximum recording time:

See below

https://helpguide.sony.net/dc/1910/v1/en/contents/TP0002870058.html?search=Recording time

Also, I am not sure how video recording is affected of there afe blocks of old data on the card. The camera may be able to skip over those sectors and continue recording on the next available block of memory or it may stop.

Maybe try formatting the card first and then try recording. If the same thing happens then you may have a bad/fake card... it does happen.

Edited by LiveShots

• 2 months later...

Hi there. I have a similar issue with my ZV1, I think? It's annoying - to the point where I'm wondering if I a have a fault with my device and am considering returning it under warrantee.

I use it to film yoga instructional videos. They are sometimes 90 minutes long. I know that inorder to run for this length of time, the camera needs to be plugged into the mains.

So I plug the camera into the mains and double check that the mains charge is showing - the battery icon confirms this : it has a little plug symbol beside it. So - I should be good to go.

However. 

The camera still turns off after an hour or so, saying the battery is flat. Interrupting the filming. Which ruins the whole video.

At that point, if I go back to the camera now its battery is flat and pull out the charging cable from the mains and put it back in again, I can continue recording for 90 minutes plus as required.

My issue is: the Sony ZV1 is not using the mains while the battery is charged. It continues to run on battery power. Then switches itself off (infuriatingly). And then - only at that point when I plug it in again and turn it on again does it start using the mains as it's power source.

I'm 99% sure this is what is taking place but still on a learning curve are trying many workarounds this problem... not of which have been successful yet.

I'd really appreciate some help with this.

The next thing I'm going to check is deliberately flattening the battery before I start filming. But this seems a clumsy workaround.

Otherwise - absolutely loving this camera! A huge improvement on my old camera. But only if I can RELY on it!

Best wishes
Frances

Edited by Olaf W.
Underlining removed

• 1 month later...

The ZV1 manual has a section on memory cards. it says :

"If you repeatedly shoot and delete images for a long time, fragmentation of data in a file in the memory card may occur, and movie recording may be interrupted in the middle of shooting. If this happens, save your images to a computer or other storage location, then execute [Format] using this camera."

(Haven't tried this yet. I am having same problem with my ZV1, using Sandisk extreme pro, which I hope is not a fake memory card.)

Thanks for sharing this clue arcx!

The mysterious workaround I seem to have discovered, with my set up, is to have the ZV1 battery exhausted just before I begin filming. Then I plug it into the mains right at the last minute and when it runs off the mains on a flat battery it seems to go on for practically ever. Wierd! One helpful guy on you tube suggested using a thing called a 'dummy battery' ...

JaM Life Sydney - Tech and Adventures
Hi there Francess, Thank you for watching and supporting our channel, Happy to help with your problem. When you are recording for that long yes you will have that problem you will need a AC Power Supply Adapter + BX1 Dummy Battery Coupler Kit for Sony RX100 M7 M6 ZV1 as a work around. will message you a link in next reply. I have not tried this particular seller so you may want to search around for one you trust, but that is what you need. It will deliver power straight to your camera without the need for battery. I also advise to record in 1080p as well as recording that long in 4K you may overheat the camera. Hope that helps if I can help any further please let me know John JaM

Unfortunately I'm in the UK and couldn't find the product he was recommending available here.

It seems a curious design anomaly to have on this lovely (otherwise) camera.

Good luck with testing your solution. If my solution lets me down I'll try reformatting the disc each time and see how that goes.

Funny that no one from Sony seemed to have an official explanation, or solution. Maybe Sony prefer to pretend the fault isn't there to avoid hassle and make it your problem? Or maybe this is being unfair to them. Anyway Sony technical support couldn't help when I called.

Hi LiveShots

Many thanks for your helpful chip-in!

Oooh that seems very close to what John Jam recommended, though the RX100 versions are different and the ZV1 isn't mentioned.

For techies, I guess they still feel confident it's the same thing if your exact model doesn't get a look in in the credits, but if you're not a techie (nor a luddite either!) you still feel a bit anxious about buying something that doesn't quite match. Are you a techie? :-) Do you feel it's the same piece of kit? Certainly for the price it'd be worth the risk to resolve the real problem of the camera turning itself off for no reason.

The only thing now being:
I haven't had the problem once since using my running-the-battery-flat-before-I-start-filming strategy! So I wait to see 'battery exhausted' flash up, plug in to the mains and I seem to be away. Then the camera runs and runs.

I hope this isn't a case of 'famous last words!' And I wonder too, if there are reasons why the dummy battery would be a better option than my 'start-with-an-exhausted-battery' workaround?

Edited by franceskeeley

Its not camera specific. 

So search for the battery name not the camera. The zv1 only came out recently so they have not updated the descriptions on camera compatibility.

I think when first connecting the camera to the main outlet, the camera should be OFF and make sure you have this setting correct. 

https://helpguide.sony.net/dc/1910/v1/en/contents/TP0002870033.html?search=Power