RX1r2 vs A7r4 Dilemma

I have a dilemma. My favorite digital camera ever has been the RX1r2. It perfectly suits what I need for about 75% of my work. (I have a Nikon Z7 and lenses for the rest.) The pop-up viewfinder on my RX1r2 has now broken for the second time and it is a pain to get fixed, if I can get it fixed at all. The first time it cost me $600 to have it repaired and took nearly three months. I have been waiting, and waiting and waiting, in the hope that a RX1r3 might eventually come out. By now I have no idea if I should keep hoping for such a thing or not. I kind of doubt it. It seems more likely that Sony will concentrate on something along the lines of the new A7C, hopefully eventually with a much higher resolution sensor and some small sharp lenses. In the meantime I need to suck it up and repair the RX1r2 again, or replace it.

So, I can buy a new RX and hope to not be kicking myself within a year or so when an RX1r3 comes out, or an A7Cr with a much higher resolution sensor and good small lenses comes out. Or I could spend $2,000 more and switch to a Leica Q2. Or I have been considering buying an A7r4 with the tiny Sony/Zeiss 2.8 lens (which I have heard is very sharp.)

The Q2 seems to be a non-starter. I played with one the other day and it is a fantastically built camera that feels very good in the hand. But I prefer 35mm to 28, I don't like that the LED screen doesn't move at all, and the thing is much larger and heavier (718 grams vs 507 grams) than the RX1r2. It is also actually slightly larger than the A7r4 body in two of its three dimensions and only about 65 grams lighter (slightly more than 3 ounces) than the A7r4 with the small lens. The A7r4 with the lens is also about $1,000 cheaper than the Q2.

If I knew that an RX1r3 was on the way, or an A7Cr with a 47 to 60 mp sensor and some available small good lenses, I could wait six months or so and it wouldn't be any kind of dilemma. And, obviously none of you reading this will know - or if you do would be in a position to let me know - whether or not that will be the case. But, what do you think? 

I suspect the Fuji x100v will not have the resolution you require after the RX1, but the new 23mm lens (35 mm FF) is very sharp and  able.  I also just saw an unusual video of one photographer extolling the virtues of the Sigma fp for lightweight photography, though without fast AF.  I will look forward to hearing your result.

16 minutes ago, ebouwens said:

I suspect the Fuji x100v will not have the resolution you require after the RX1, but the new 23mm lens (35 mm FF) is very sharp and  able.  I also just saw an unusual video of one photographer extolling the virtues of the Sigma fp for lightweight photography, though without fast AF.  I will look forward to hearing your result.

I do tend to print relatively large, 17x22 at least, for exhibition. I seldom crop, preferring to compose full frame, but still, for my purposes the higher the resolution the better. It is a shame as I do love the way the Fuji handles and for me a good camera is like a good pair of shoes, the most important part is the fit.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I currently have a Sony A7iii.  For day to day stuff I find myself not wanting to lug around a medium sized camera with me, let alone a large lens.  I want something small but very high quality which I'm able to jacket pocket and keep on me all the time.  The RX1Rii is almost the perfect solution!... except it's five years old and has quirks.  The tech is very outdated compared to my A7iii which is almost a THIRD of the price.  I also considered a Leica Q2 but I can't even entertain the idea of Leica's non-articulating screen, its worse performing sensor and fixed 28mm focal length (much prefer 35mm).  And for the record I couldn't care less about video in a walkaround camera.

I messaged a few official Sony pages on Facebook and got the usual "No comment" type replies.  However one gave me this response "Hi James.  Please stay tuned for upcoming product launches.  Thank you." (screenshot attached).

I'm not sure if that's something positive or not, but I hope it is.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, jamesclark1991 said:

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I currently have a Sony A7iii.  For day to day stuff I find myself not wanting to lug around a medium sized camera with me, let alone a large lens.  I want something small but very high quality which I'm able to jacket pocket and keep on me all the time.  The RX1Rii is almost the perfect solution!... except it's five years old and has quirks.  The tech is very outdated compared to my A7iii which is almost a THIRD of the price.  I also considered a Leica Q2 but I can't even entertain the idea of Leica's non-articulating screen, its worse performing sensor and fixed 28mm focal length (much prefer 35mm).  And for the record I couldn't care less about video in a walkaround camera.

I messaged a few official Sony pages on Facebook and got the usual "No comment" type replies.  However one gave me this response "Hi James.  Please stay tuned for upcoming product launches.  Thank you." (screenshot attached).

I'm not sure if that's something positive or not, but I hope it is.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yeah, that would be great. At this point I am going to send in my RX for repair and hope for the best with that. Besides the lack of articulating screen, the Q2 is really much bigger than it ought to be if you ask me. And I am with you on video. I don't want video in a camera like the RX1r-2, on top of which one of the only things I don't like about the camera is the placement of the video button - I regularly end up shooting short snippets of video about nothing when I push it by mistake. In any new model I would also hope for improved battery life. I use mine with a third party grip attached, which I think helps ergonomically. If Sony built even a small but useful grip onto the camera it might give it enough extra space for a larger battery.

17 hours ago, es888 said:

Yeah, that would be great. At this point I am going to send in my RX for repair and hope for the best with that. Besides the lack of articulating screen, the Q2 is really much bigger than it ought to be if you ask me. And I am with you on video. I don't want video in a camera like the RX1r-2, on top of which one of the only things I don't like about the camera is the placement of the video button - I regularly end up shooting short snippets of video about nothing when I push it by mistake. In any new model I would also hope for improved battery life. I use mine with a third party grip attached, which I think helps ergonomically. If Sony built even a small but useful grip onto the camera it might give it enough extra space for a larger battery.

I'm sure there would be a way to disable the video button on the RX1Rii the same as on my old A7Rii, I used to re-program the video button's shortcut to 'disabled' or whatever it's called in the menu.

I think If they made the viewfinder external (clip-on on via hotshoe) and if they extended the right hand grip a cm or so they could fit in the new Alpha Z battery which would be a phenomenal upgrade at no cost to size as most people use a small external grip anyway.

• 1 month later...

I finally gave in and found a near mint condition used RX1r2 on eBay and bought it. Mine returned from repair a week after I needed to leave on my work trip. I am happily using the new/used camera now on the trip. When I return I will assess the condition of both and sell one or the other to try and recoup some of the money I had to spend on the new/used one. That is unless Sony has finally decided to update the camera and bring out a mark 3, in which case I will probably sell both to help finance that purchase.

Just for fun, while I'm on the subject, here is what I would like in a mark 3: the 60 some odd MP sensor of the A7rIV unless they finally have truly invented the long rumored curved sensor. An in-camera crop function like in the Leica Q2 to give me a 50 and 70/75 mm angle of view. I suppose some people do, but I doubt many people really use this camera for video, so just get rid of it. If I am going to do video I would rather use the RX100 or something with a zoom lens anyhow. Build a grip onto the body, which could also give the camera enough room for a bigger, longer lasting battery. Essentially I would love to see this become the ultimate street photography camera, which is essentially what I use it for. This new Zeiss monstrosity is just that - a monstrosity, in size, weight, price, functionality. Feh! I would love to see pre-order and sales figures for it. I cannot imagine it is doing well.