Can you use Extension Tubes to fit the 2.0x Teleconverter?

46 minutes ago, Pieter said:

It might work but you'll loose infinity focus. Some even use an extension tube to stack two 2× TC's.

yeah but if you have a 90mm Macro G and go 2.0x which would make it 180mm, wouldn't that be more insane?  It's not like you can go super mega closer even w/ a Macro lens.  It caps out at the minimum too when you want to go more.

On 10/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, Pieter said:

Interesting thought, loosing a bit of focus distance at the far end wouldn't matter much when shooting macro. It would certainly help to increase the working distance. Keep us posted on your findings!

The flash doing macro isn't good as it gets blocked by the camera lens.  A ring light for macro is great I've heard, that or lights to the side of the lens, do you have any experience w/ it?  Right now I'm holding a bright light over the macro to get some light or far enough to get the light on the subject which works.  I'm not too crazy w/ macro tbh but I think it's due to the lack of using proper lighting.

On-camera flash is indeed a very bad position for macro photography. It can be tricky to properly position a light source on your subject. Some extra working distance really helps here.

I'm not really adapt at macro photography myself, but on occasion I put my flash on a tripod a little to the side of the camera and use a remote trigger. A diffuser on the flash really helps to make the lighting less harsh, especially when the flash is close to the subject.

Yes you should be able to, at the expense of distant focus so it may only be relevant for 'close up' or even true macro shots.

The focusing effect of the tubes would be just the same as if used without the TC.

I've used a similar combination in other mounts. Using a 25mm tube & a 50mm lens with a 2X TC will end up with 1:1 & closer.

Note if the TC can be added directly to the lens tubes give a different result on the other side of the TC.
'Camera, tubes, TC, lens' doesn't equal 'Camera, TC, tubes, lens' 

On 11/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, petrochemist said:

Yes you should be able to, at the expense of distant focus so it may only be relevant for 'close up' or even true macro shots.

The focusing effect of the tubes would be just the same as if used without the TC.

I've used a similar combination in other mounts. Using a 25mm tube & a 50mm lens with a 2X TC will end up with 1:1 & closer.

Note if the TC can be added directly to the lens tubes give a different result on the other side of the TC.
'Camera, tubes, TC, lens' doesn't equal 'Camera, TC, tubes, lens' 

So adding a 2x TC w/ ETs doesn't change the minimum focus distance?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 12:47 AM, Pieter said:

It does, adding tubes makes both the minimum and maximum focus distance closer.

if you move it up 35mm does it make your minimum focus closer by 35mm or depending on the distance of someone it goes up w/ a multiplier so 35mm could be like 50mm on some and 70mm on another?  Also, does the maximum focus scale the same 1:1 or is it different too depending on the distances of somethings too?

It's a bit more complicated that that. Easiest way is to think of the maximum magnification factor of your lens:

new magnification = native magnification + extension / focal length

For example, you have a 50 mm lens with a native magnification of 1:5 and a 36mm extension tube. New magnification becomes:

1/5 + 36mm/50mm = 0.92× (instead of 0.2× originally).

As you'll notice, for longer focal length lenses you'll need a lot more extension tube to gain the same magnification increase than with shorter focal length lenses.

If you're really interested, have a read here:

https://shuttermuse.com/how-to-calculate-mfd-of-a-lens-with-an-extension-tube/

Edited by Pieter