Sony A7 iii - Strange artifacts on photo

Hi fellow Sony shooters :)

I have a question regarding my setup, I have a Sony A7 III with a Tamron 28-75 Di III RXD lens but I have quite often some strange artifacts (little lines) in my photos. I first noticed it when I took a picture of my son and these artifacts in his hair, but have also seen these artifacts when taking photos of our cats or other animals with fur. I have already tried resetting the camera back to factory settings and also started shooting in RAW, but these artifacts are also visible in the Uncompressed RAW files, even though there are less compared to the JPG, but they are stil there. It takes a little bit of the fun away shooting photos because it is almost impossible to get rid of all these odd lines and always disappointing when viewing my photos. 

I was wondering if someone has the same problem to see if it's a common problem, or if there might be an issue with either my camera or the lens. 

Crop from JPG:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVMRUA9h29U1jnEK6

Uncompressed RAW with artifacts in fox's fur:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6C8ZKcxyK5X5JuLd9

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:36 PM, LiveShots said:

Do you mean that ‘cross-hatch’ effect ? I’m wondering its a moire effect from light hitting his hair at just the right angle,

Try using a smaller aperture to see if that helps

If you look in the middle of the hair you see small vertical lines (which are not hair) all over the place. It's also visible in the RAW file, but the strange part is that it is only visible in human hair and animal fur. I tried to take some test photos of stuffed animals to imitate animal's fur but for some reason it doesn't show up there.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don’t have a second lens to try. I also noticed the strange artifacts in water with small waves in a picture that I made today. It’s weird I can’t find anyone else with this problem, so it’s either me being to picky or there’s something with the camera or lens. Guess I will send both, the camera and the lens, for inspection as they are both still under warranty.

Thanks for your replies!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Thanks for your prompt reply. In other words, in the very bright conditions I was experimenting with and when using AUTO ISO,  Aperture Priority and, say, a 40 mm focal length I should expect to see ISO 100 in the LCD until the shutter speed becomes too slow to be compensated for by the SSS.  This would of course apply to handheld.  However, I was using a tripod with the SSS disabled for all images regardless of F stop.  That said, I suppose  the ISO value shown on the LCD was not the actual value set by the AUTO feature when the aperture was opened up to F 5  and the shutter speed was 1/1250, even though the LCD still read ISO 100. I have a second A100 and will repeat the experiment. If the information on the LCD regarding ISO remains the same under similar conditions, then it must be a design feature. 
    • Just wondering why things are more blurry with the upper part of this photo while the lower part is sharp. I'm shooting with an A7RIV, 24-70GM. The settings are 24MM 1/1250SEC, at F/7.1, ISO 3200. I thought it may be dirty lens or fog on the lens but it didn't appear so. I cleaned my lens a few times and at a separate time under other conditions, I shot other photos with the same results. Not every photo is like this so it seems like a focus setting perhaps. This photo has center focus settings while I've also had this problem with wide focus as well. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be the culprit and what a good solution is?
    • The owner's manual mentions this: When ISO is set to (Auto), the ISO sensitivity is automatically adjusted between ISO 100 and ISO 800, however if the Mode Dial is set to M, it is fixed at ISO 100.   My opinion about this: With bright subjects, Auto ISO will probably remain at 100 until shutter speed decreases to the point that Super Steady Shot can not handle it. So any shutter speed that is faster than 1/focal length is likely to remain at ISO 100 until that 1/focal length becomes difficult to handle by SSS to allow a shutter speed that is capable of providing reasonably sharp pictures.  
    • Hello,    I have 6 (well,  I have 9 in total) Sony A5000s on a rail and they are all linked together with a special box called an ESPR trigger box.  They should all fire off all together but totally randomly,  one or two can be a fraction of a second late.  The makers of the trigger box say that it is a problem with the cameras or the lenses.   I have reset the cameras several times (ie,  have no autofocus,  auto white balance,  etc).  I am using the stock 16-50mm lens. has anyone got any idea to why there is a shutter lag sometimes? any suggestions,  gratefully received.
    • When experimenting with bright subjects, clouds specifically, using Aperture Priority and F stops from 4 through 6.3 and Auto ISO, the shutter speeds display in the 1/1000 to 1/250 range. I would expect the LCD to show correspondingly high ISO's. However, the ISO display shows "Auto" and 100 for all images no matter how over exposed. Same for the histogram. The Sony operator's manual is no help nor could I find any detailed information online as to how the Auto ISO actually displays information. Note that I am experimenting with such settings and subjects simply to learn how the camera works and do not save the images after studying the effects. Any feedback would be appreciated. 
  • Topics