Front Curtain Shutter On or Off?

DrJohn

Should the front curtain shutter be turned on or off for fast moving wildlife such as birds, and other moving targets? Should it be turned on or off for landscape photos?

I have an A7RIV and an A6600

John

Edited by DrJohn

I think the smaller sensor size of the a6600 would not need the front curtain for either types of shots. I’ve never used it on my 24MB a9.

The larger sensor of the A7 may require it if you have live view off and a very large aperture lens that has to step down when the shutter is pressed. 

i don’t think there is a single right answer as it depends on the type of shot, lens, etc.

I don’t know if either camera has the e-front curtain, that option may be better as it eliminates one shutter activation.

54 minutes ago, LiveShots said:

I think the smaller sensor size of the a6600 would not need the front curtain for either types of shots. I’ve never used it on my 24MB a9.

The larger sensor of the A7 may require it if you have live view off and a very large aperture lens that has to step down when the shutter is pressed. 

i don’t think there is a single right answer as it depends on the type of shot, lens, etc.

I don’t know if either camera has the e-front curtain, that option may be better as it eliminates one shutter activation.

I've been using the cameras with the front curtain on because that is the default. I haven't had any problems. But, I'm always exploring options.

John