Hello,

I just got used A7riii and the touchscreen does not work. I have tried updating the firmware, resetting the camera multiple times, changing the setting that has to do with autofocus (yes I'm aware that you have to turn this function on, I've turned it on and off so many times already) I'm not sure what I'm missing. The touchscreen is just unresponsive. I've done everything short of sacrificing a goat. Has anyone else run into this issue before? The previous owner says that they never used the touchscreen so they were not aware of it. Please help me figure it out. It cost a lot of money.

Thanks!

If this setting does not turn it on then it is either broken or maybe there is a screen protector on there that is preventing your touch from being registered?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

22 minutes ago, LiveShots said:

If this setting does not turn it on then it is either broken or maybe there is a screen protector on there that is preventing your touch from being registered?

That does not work at all, and there is no screen protector. I've read where people say it won't work if certain setting is turned on and stuff like that, but no matter what settings I change it it still will not work.

Something else I thought was weird is that when I do a factor reset or an "Initialize" some of the settings stays the same. I just have to reset the time all the time. Do you know what could cause this?

Are you trying to select menu items with "touch?" That won't work. Touch is only for focus (or shutter) operations. Also, I'm not sure about the exact  menu options on the a7riii, but on my 6400 there is also a menu item for "function of touch operation" which may be a factor. There are also options for using as a touch screen, touch pad, or both. If you haven't already, I would look into those settings, which may be spread across different menus.

The above may already be obvious to you.

23 minutes ago, jrm said:

Are you trying to select menu items with "touch?" That won't work. Touch is only for focus (or shutter) operations. Also, I'm not sure about the exact  menu options on the a7riii, but on my 6400 there is also a menu item for "function of touch operation" which may be a factor. There are also options for using as a touch screen, touch pad, or both. If you haven't already, I would look into those settings, which may be spread across different menus.

The above may already be obvious to you.

I am aware that the touch is only for autofocus. I think you can do a handful of little things with it too? But if I could make it do anything I would at least know that it's functional and on my camera. I have tried messing with all the touch pad or touchscreen setting and it doesn't work either. 

15 minutes ago, dbmiller said:

Is Pre-AF on or off? Which AF mode are you in?

I have read people say that pre-af should be on and central focus to be off, but I've flipped flopped them multiple times and still nothing. It would be easier to tell me which settings to set my camera on to test it because you would know what works. I'm shooting in the dark at this point lol 

I can tell you want works for me on my A7R3:

• Pre-AF is On. This is smportant, the camera will not focus just by touching the screen, it just changes the point of focus.
  • Focus with shutter is On (Shouldn't matter)
  • I am usually in AF-C mode, but AF-S more often seems to work more reliably.
  • I have touch screen operation assigned to the delete button (Normally off)
  • I usually have AF area set to Wide

When I want to override the AF-area, I press the delete button to activate the touchscreen, and then touch and/or drag to the spot I want to focus. AF definitely isn't instant, and I think depends on the AF speed setting as well, but even in Fast mode, it can take a second two, especially in low light where the camera struggles to AF anyway.

I have had a few times where the AF doesn't seem to happen. But if I drag the focus box just a little, it usually focuses.

2 hours ago, dbmiller said:

I can tell you want works for me on my A7R3:

• Pre-AF is On. This is smportant, the camera will not focus just by touching the screen, it just changes the point of focus.
  • Focus with shutter is On (Shouldn't matter)
  • I am usually in AF-C mode, but AF-S more often seems to work more reliably.
  • I have touch screen operation assigned to the delete button (Normally off)
  • I usually have AF area set to Wide

When I want to override the AF-area, I press the delete button to activate the touchscreen, and then touch and/or drag to the spot I want to focus. AF definitely isn't instant, and I think depends on the AF speed setting as well, but even in Fast mode, it can take a second two, especially in low light where the camera struggles to AF anyway.

I have had a few times where the AF doesn't seem to happen. But if I drag the focus box just a little, it usually focuses.

I tried it to no avail... I think I might return it...