My LCD screen stopped working shortly after strange horizontal lines began appearing on the bottom on the screen. Need help!

Eric615

Recently my LCD screen stopped working. Everything I’ve researched addresses the screen going black but my problem is a little bit different and I can’t find anything that addresses it.

It started as a faint reddish-orange thin horizontal line right above the camera settings extending the entire width of the bottom of the screen. It was almost like a ghosting effect over the text. Over about the next hour or so the lines gradually multiplied upward in a variety of brighter colors until it was 1/2 way up the screen. Shortly after it fizzled the rest of the way up very quickly and turned dark. It didn’t turn completely black or even a solid just dark gray with thin vertical lines all the way across. 

I’ve attached pictures of the screen when the problem got bad. It’s not a great pic but it was dark and foggy and I was in the middle of a huge field in the middle of nowhere. 

The camera itself still functions properly but I can’t switch feed to the viewfinder because I had set it to monitor only. I hooked up an external LCD and tried to change it that way but the option was grayed out.

I have a theory on what could have caused the problem. I was doing some running around and quick on my feet stuff so I had worked up quite a sweat. I had my screen tilted up and on a few or more occasions my sweat dripped from my hat onto the screen several times.  I’m not talking about a mist either. I was sweating hard. Of course I wiped it off immediately but only the front. I was in a dark environment and trying to keep pace with my subjects. And honestly didn’t think it was anything to worry about.

In looking at the back of the LCD screen I noticed that it appears to be somewhat open in terms of the housing and If that’s the case my sweat could’ve easily rolled around the back into the grove that’s directly on the bottom on the back of the screen.

Im almost positive replacing the screen is the answer but before I dive into the repair I want to get some opinions

I did buy this camera refurbished from Amazon about 6 months ago and also purchased a warranty with Asurion but I’m not paying deductibles and waiting forever to solve this over a $50 part I can replace myself. If it was serious damage then obviously I’d have no choice.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome and good luck :)

You seem settled to it being a hardware problem and probably permanent. Good luck too, with the part only costing $50! But I don't have the experience. Youtube probably has the disassembly/reassembly covered.

(If it's hunchtime, I'd agree about the moisture. I've heard of over-wet computer-monitor cleaning causing this kind of failure. On the other hand... any chance the ribbon cable simply came loose?)