Replacing the Sony 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3

Ben Schultz

I am using a Sony 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS E Mount Autofocus on a Sony A6000 and getting pretty good results. But (for reasons explained here) I need a lens that either has a MF/AF switch or only has manual focus. 

Any recommendations on a comparable lens that has a true manual focus? 

KEH suggested a TAMRON 18-200MM F/3.5-6.3 DI III VC but I was hoping to find something a little cheaper. 

Thanks!

At which focal length do you use your 55-210? Do you keep it fixed at one focal length or do you actually use the zoom function? In your specific case you might be best off buying a fully manual focus lens to be sure it doesn't reset focus. Samyang/Rokinon has some good and fairly affordable options but they don't go beyond 85mm or so.

A fully manual lens sounds like a great solution. I typically leave the camera mounted; I set the zoom and focus and then power it on/off remotely. 

I am still learning about camera lenses, so help me a little. I have the lens zoomed in around 90mm and I have the focus set at 16mm. Does that mean I'm using a focal length of 90 or is there more to the equation than that?

Thanks for the advice!

Have a look at the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC in Sony E-mount (not the autofocus version). Can be had for about €/$ 250-300 if you find a good deal:

https://www.adorama.com/sy85me.html

I assume you have focus set at 16m (not mm): Focal length (90 mm) shouldn't change much if you change focus distance.

With a fully manual lens, all you do is dial in focus distance and aperture and never worry about it again. To be sure focus is set correctly, open the aperture all the way (f/1.4) so depth of field is minimal, focus as best you can using focus magnification, take a photo and evaluate if focus is spot on. If it is, perhaps put a marker on your lens next to the focus ring for future reference. Then close down the aperture a bit (around f/5.6 if ambient light permits) so depth of field is a bit more forgiving in case your subject moves back and forth.

Some other options for Sony E-mount:

Samyang 85mm f/1.8 ED UMC CS: designed for mirrorless APS-C cameras so much smaller than the f/1.4 version I just mentioned (which is designed for fullframe SLR-cameras so has an extension tube to adapt it to E-mount).

Meike 85mm f/1.8 MF: designed for fullframe, really cheap but optically less good than the Samyang.

Edited by Pieter