Birds in Flight - Tips and Tricks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is already a section on Birds in Flight where people have submitted really fine photographs. I think it will be helpful to find out what camera was used, what lens was used, and the camera settings. So, please submit any information and tips and tricks here.

John

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm only talking about the Minolta lenses before MAXXUM -- so they were all manual focusing.  Only one -- the first -- was labelled "ROKKOR".  And you are correct, the last version was labelled "MINOLTA", but made made by Cosina.  The differences between the six versions are not huge -- such as changes to the inscription of the lens, changes to the lens coating, changes to the optical design, changes to the close-focusing ability, etc.  You can see the specs on each version at: http://www.subclub.org/minman/287035.htm But I've never heard of one with a wider filter thread.  That's not listed on this great Minolta lens list either: http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/ I would be very interested in seeing a picture of your 35-70mm ROKKOR with a wider filter thread.  You might have a really rare lens! Here's what I know about the only 35-70mm ROKKOR: FOCAL LENGTH: 35-70mm f-STOPS: 3.5-22 PERIOD: 1977-1981 INSCRIPTION: MINOLTA MD ZOOM ROKKOR-X 35-70mm 1:3.5 LENS MADE IN JAPAN DESIGN: 8/7 FILTER: 55 DIAPHRAGM: auto MC: yes MD: yes CLOSE FOCUS: 3.3' SIZE: 2.7"x2.6" WEIGHT: 12.9oz. A new lens to the Minolta line-up of SLR lenses in the MD Rokkor-X series. A two-touch, super-quality zoom that Leica liked so much they sold it as the Leitz Vario-Elmar R 35-70 f3.5. Its main limitation is its limited close-focusing ability. Since it is a two-touch zoom, it's not too convenient to use, but the quality makes up for its other deficiencies.
    • 6 versions of 35-70 ? Really ? Are you counting AF in the 6 ? I know of only 4 one of which was not even made by Minolta (the 3.5-4.8 version)  The first version of the 35-70mm F 3.5 (MD ZOOM ROKKOR (X)) had similar separate threads for its lens shade of about 62mm but like i mentioned, that shade won't fit on either the 40-80 nor the Shift CA. After revisiting them, this shade won't even fit a 62mm filter by about 1mm. So i guess this one is 63mm which is not a standard filter size. The shade thread diameter on both of my SHIFT CA ROKKOR's  are also close to 62mm but they appear to be closer to 64-65mm since they won't fit either on a 62mm filter but by a larger margin than the 35-70 shade. It also won't fit on a 67mm threaded lens being too small. So about 64-65mm here Finally, the shade for the 40-80 is 62mm since i can fit it to a 62mm filter.   So i guess what we have here is: -1-62mm (Zoom Rokkor 4-80) - 1 about 63mm MD ZOOM Rokkor) - 1 about 64-65mm (Shift CA Rokkor) My measuring tools are all in storage after i just moved so this is the closest i could get to compare all 3    
    • Minolta made six versions of 35-70mm zoom and all of them had only one filter thread -- 55mm -- unlike the 40-80mm zoom and the 35mm CA Shift lenses, which both had two front threads -- the inner one for filters and the outer one for the lens shade/hood.  On both, the filter thread was 55mm.  The shade thread on the 40-80mm is 62mm.  The question is what is the diameter of the shade thread of the 35mm CA Shift lens?  The photo (thank you) looks much wider than 62mm to my naked eye.
    • te rely but here we go.   This shade does have what appears to be 62mm threads but the same could apply to both the 40-80 zoom and the 35-70 F 3.5 MD Zoom Rokkor (1st version) but i own all 3 lenses and the shades of all of them can not fit on the other 2 lenses for a reason i can not understand. So your search should be on the actual original shade
    • This issue has caused me such a headache. I agree it is really mind boggling that Sony doesn't allow you to turn this setting off. I haven't had a chance to test yet but I believe this may be the solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh_gfEsFGtA
  • Topics