A7III HDMI Out Issues

I've been using my A7III with the Elgato Cam Link 4K with no issues. HDMI Resolution was set to 2160p/1080p with 60p Output. Everything else in HDMI Settings was set to off and 4K Output Sel. was set to HDMI 24p or something. The image coming into OBS was basically 2160p24. 

This week I decided to buy the Blackmagic ATEM Mini and this is where my issues began. Plugging into the ATEM I got nothing, a black screen. Connected to the Cam Link and got a picture. Looking at the specs for the ATEM it'll only accept 1080p or lower. Changed the HDMI Resolution to 1080p with the Output set to either 24 or 60 with no luck. Tried connecting to a regular TV and the TV says no signal. It's almost like the camera won't output anything lower than 4k. 

I reset the camera with no luck. I haven't tried a different cable (Insignia cable).. But it's weird the cable would work with 4K but not regular old 1080p. I tried other sources on the ATEM and they're working perfectly fine.

Tried an A6300 and that worked just fine with the cable. Hooked it up to a 4K monitor and different resolutions work just fine. The A7III works just fine in 4K mode on the 4K monitor, but 1080p doesn’t work.

Anyone ever run into this issue before? Any ideas what could be going on? I’m at a complete loss as to what the issue might be 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue, I'm trying to find a sollution since two days but seems like nobody got the right answer or no answer at all... 

So my ATEM mini doesn't get the image from my Sony a7iii. No idea what I'm doing wrong... Did you already find the sollution? 

On 9/15/2020 at 6:57 PM, Artarchi said:

I'm having the same issue, I'm trying to find a sollution since two days but seems like nobody got the right answer or no answer at all... 

So my ATEM mini doesn't get the image from my Sony a7iii. No idea what I'm doing wrong... Did you already find the sollution? 

No, I´m screen capturing OBS instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue with an alpha A6100.  I would like to capture in 1080p at ~60fps, which the camera is capable of doing (indeed which the camera did when I first got it).  Unfortunately, what happens now is that if I have the camera in movie mode, it seems to ignore all of the HDMI settings and just send me clean HDMI in 4k at ~30fps.  If I put the camera in any of the photo modes, then I can get 1080p if I select it in the HDMI output mode.  However, the HDMI picture looks worse in picture mode than in video mode, and there are black bars at the sides.

What's so frustrating is that this worked with the exact same HDMI capture device when I first got my camera.  Then, at one point when I changed the camera battery, the camera glitched and lost its settings--I had to re-enter the language and time and such when I turned it back on.  After that, I reinitialized the settings a second time in case some weird settings had gotten scrambled, yet I still can't get 60fps.  Note that I'm running on NTSC (had to set this again after reinitializing the camera).  So I think there must be some other setting I previously tweaked that I can't remember.

Current settings:

• Face/Eye priority: on
  • Video file format: XAVC S 4K (but the other two settings do the same, and the item is grayed out when the HDMI cable is plugged in anyway)
  • Record setting: 30p 100M
  • Audio recording: on
  • Auto power-off temp: high
  • NTSC/PAL Selector: NTSC
  • HDMI Settings/HDMI Resolution: 1080p
  • HDMI Settings 24p/60p Output: 60p
  • HDMI Settings/HDMI Info Display: off
  • HDMI Settings/CTRL FOR HDMI: on
  • 4K Output Select: HDMI Only (30p) (there's no option to turn this off when the HDMI cable is plugged in, and I can't access the menu item without an HDMI cable plugged in)

I'm using both OBS and guvcview to test the camera's video feed, and getting the same results with both.

Any suggestions on what other settings to try, or an an ever harder settings reset procedure, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Interestingly, I switched from battery to dummy battery and it started working again.  So I haven't tested extensively, but it seems I can get 60p if I power the camera with a dummy battery.  But if I use a real battery and supplement via USB power (using the power adapter that shipped with the camera), then I can only get 4k/30p.  Also,the face autofocus somehow was off at 60p, but then I unplugged the HDMI cable, fiddled with some settings, and then it re-enabled face autofocus.  I conclude that the camera is just a little finicky, presumably because it isn't primarily intended to be used as an HDMI video source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I've had the same issue with my Sony a7iii and using the Blackmagic Mini Recorder, which is a capture device for HDMI.  After extensive testing and resolution changes, I discovered a bug which can be fixed by toggling on and off the TC output options in the HDMI settings on the camera menu.  It has disconnected again if I reboot my laptop, but again, toggling on and off with the TC output options, appears to resolve this.  

• 4 months later...