Sony A7R3 Focusing Issue

Problem

The lens is properly connected, but the manual focus doesn't work, and the autofocus only work at intermittent intervals before disconnecting. 

More detailed description

I recently got a used A7RIII body from a person through Reddit, and the camera worked fine for the first few days, this is my only Sony product besides the lens and I was happy with using it. However, a couple of hours ago I went shooting some long exposure shots with my 24-70mm GM f/2.8 lens. Everything was working fine until I got home and began testing some self portrait ideas. The first sign sign of issue was when I started testing self portrait and the aperture listed "f--" instead of the f-stop, it was temporarily fixed by just attaching the lens back on.

However, when it started to disconnect and and reconnect, it kept "blinking" on the display, only the camera view not the actual display. The lens itself is not at fault because I tested it on an a6400 body and it works just fine without any of the disconnecting issues. To further detail what I mean by the "blinking" problem, the lens almost looks like the aperture blades are closing over and over again. The lens is properly connected as it clicked. 

I tried cleaning up the sensor pads and the pins and it has gone to no avail and has not improved the situation. The lens dismount button is a little iffy too, not sure if that is the reason, and where I live it was pretty hot outside on that day, not sure if that contributed to the battery being stressed or not. 

Here is an image in case if you want to look at the sensor pads, any help would help! Thanks.

I do not think the lens is fully engaged/locked in place on your A7riii. Check and make sure the the lens is completely locked position. The release button should not have play in it. The f__ is an error message indicating an issue with communication. I would also clean the contacts with a soft clean cloth. Stay away from erasures or anything abrasive that could damage the contacts. 

Edited by Jeffreykmd

• 4 months later...