Eye AF, struggling with this camera

Hi,

I switched from Canon a while ago but I am struggling to understand and use my A7iii well, I've watched loads of tutorials but still find myself forgetting where stuff is in the menu although I've set some in the FN menu now. 

I've read most people use the focus hold button on the lens for eye af so I followed this, http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/ilc/eyeaf/en/index.html I also have face/Eye Prty in AF - ON, Subject Detection - Human, Face Dtct Frame Dsp - ON and Animal Eye Display - ON

In AF-S when pointing at a face if I push and hold the focus hold button on the lens nothing happens but if I just point the camera at a face I get a white box and when half press the shutter I get the green box around the eye.

In AF-C again nothing happens when I press and hold the focus hold button but just pointing at a face I get the white box which tracks the face and half press gives me the green box around the eye and tracks.

So what I don't understand is what's the point of me pushing the focus hold button if it's not doing anything 

I'm not exactly sure but it seems your help reference is outdated: initially it worked like that on the A7(R)III but with a certain firmware update these cameras got a feature called 'real-time Eye-AF', removing the need to press a button to engage Eye-AF.

I found another site that confirmed what you said, it seems I can still assign the focus hold button to eye af and then if I am using a spot focus area pressing the focus hold will override the spot and snap on to the eye. ?