A7III with 1635 F2.8 GM

Hello guys. I've recently bought a 1635gm and use it with A7III. It has been tested for indoor and outdoor shots. However, it seems that the images are not as sharp as expected, especially when files are opened on pc and the zoomed in details are not good. Is it because A7III does not have a high enough resolution? 

No, it's the other way around: higher resolution will result in more blurry pixels if the initial image wasn't sharp to begin with.

Without more details about camera settings like shutter speed and aperture and other conditions like tripod use and subject movement it's totally impossible to guess what might cause unsharp pictures in your case.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry for not giving the details and samples.

I've been struggling with uploading photos as it exceed the size limit. Therefore, I have uploaded some cropped images.

The two jpeg DSC00897 and DSC00898 are cropped from the same photo with ISO100, 25mm, f/8, 1/250s, with tripod.

DSC1302 and DSC1300 are cropped from another photo with ISO200, 16mm, f/8, 1/200s, without tripod.

Both were taken with A7III. It seems to me that the images are not as sharp as samples I can see from others, but I do not know what the problem is.

Sorry that the original image is not provided as I cannot upload it without exceeding the max total size.

Thank you very much for reply again, and sorry for not providing clear details as this is my first time posing here and I am not familiar with using the forum.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RWWK

Your camera settings seem ok so no issue there. Be sure to disable stabilization when shooting from a tripod as your camera will try to compensate for shake that isn't there. This might result in a slight blur.

It's quite difficult to assess your photos (am on phone atm). On the second photo it seems to be a depth of field / focus plane issue: the buildings in the back seem sharper than the trees/foliage. Same with the last image: focus seems to be more on the lightpost than on the buildings. Based on the perspective of the last image it seems to be a crop near the corner of the frame. In my opinion it is pretty sharp: corners always lack behind a bit in sharpness but I can still differentiate individual pixels along contrasty edges.

When shooting a cityscape at such a distance, atmospheric haze or fog/smog will also deteriorate image sharpness.

Edited by Pieter

• 4 weeks later...