Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an a7rii. Feeling extremely frustrated that I can’t figure this out. All of a sudden I’m not able to get anything to display in the monitor lcd screen. Everything is only visible if I look thru the viewfinder. Playback images/ navigating the menu, etc. Nothing that I’m seeing on menu options makes it work. I’ve also done a reset of the settings. Nothing. A ton of Googling is not yielding any answers. Help! 

I guess you've been menu staring enough, but just in case you missed...

Working on a6500 menu options, your camera might have more, but probably doesn't have less.

• You can (could have?) set a programmable button to Deactivate Monitor, Finder/monitor select, or monitor brightness.
  • You can (could have?) set Finder/Monitor menu item to finder.
  • You can Set monitor brightness menu item, but it doesn't seem possible to set it to zero.

First make sure that sensor is clean and unobstructed as per Olaf W. Then maybe set a button to Finder/Monitor select: this might help diagnose a dead lcd screen. I'm suggesting a button rather than the menu item, to make it harder to get stuck in monitor mode if the lcd is dead.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your rear monitor is turned off. Go to menu cogwheel 4 finder/monitor and set it to auto. This will allow you to automatically switch back and forth between the viewfinder and the rear LCD. Make sure the rear IR sensor above the viewfinder is not blocked or dirty. 

Thanks for all the help! I think I’m good now. Cleaning the sensor seems to have fixed everything. The finder/monitor was set on Auto. I switched it to monitor (manual) and the screen displayed normally. But when I switched back to auto, only viewfinder worked. Cleaning the sensor (which I didn’t even realize was there and controlled this- I swear this camera makes me feel like my IQ drop 30 points) and it’s acting normally. Thanks again!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Windows Screen capture on the video playback. I can see the red line on the screen at the back of the camera as well. Does the camera uses a separate chip/processor to do the readout of 4k video? Maybe the hardware for that task has issue. I may have to contact sony on this. The camera has been purchased more than a year ago though. Does anyone has any experience with Sony customer support on this sort of stuff?
    • Is that a pic of the screen or actual video? A continuous line top to bottom is a problem with that particular circuit either on the monitor or sensor. (Had to exchange mine because it developed a group of purple pixels only in 4K 3 weeks after purchase.)
    • Takes me back fifty years to student days. We got into this habit: one of us would start on some topic we knew little about, we'd flounder around for a few minutes, and end up chorusing, "Buy a book on it!" And hey, very often we did. Those days, there was no internet, no google and no youtube. That was great for the book trade! Have to say, though, that with a new, complex camera, my first instinct is still to get the book. An actual, printed book. I consider it a shame that they don'
    • Hi folks, just switched to Sony from Nikon. On my D850 the lcd was used to see the shot just taken and the viewfinder to aim focus and shoot. It seems the two are tied together on the a9ii, and they switch magically when you're eye presses up against the viewfinder, kind of neat. However when doing so there seems to be a lag time as to when I see the single focus point again and can get locked back on my subject, not a huge lag but enough so it seems I lose my subject, especially birds in flight
    • Yes, I agree that not knowing is what is frustrating but I've found basic internet searches to be helpful. It's worth bearing in mind that any camera can be amazing "but only if you know how to use it" to coin your phrase.  I have always found that updating to the latest firmware can certainly iron out issues - I've always made sure that my cameras (previously Pentax K-S2, Pentax K-70, Pentax K-1), including my A7iii, have been kept up-to-date and have suffered with very little issues if an