Sports Photographer - Lens Recommendation

I recently made a jump from Canon to Sony, going from the 7D MkII to the Sony A7III. 

I'm not in a rush to get a new lens due to COVID-19 stopping my sports opportunities, but I would like to find something to replace the range of my Canon 70-200 F4 IS. 

I see Sony has a comparable lens with OSS. Budget isn't super important, but I do value weight savings. Plus need to factor in that many used lenses aren't selling, so tough to offload my Canon gear in this climate. 

Would you recommend the new Tamron 70-180 F2.8, the Sony 70-200 F4 or perhaps a Metabones adapter and keep my Canon 70-200 F4 IS? 

I will note that I shoot in low-light (horse racing). And I have tried the Sigma Canon-to-Sony adapter without any luck (it worked great for 50% of the shots and locked up my camera for the rest).

I think the Tamron is a great option for your case. From what reviews I read / watched, it is optically better than the Sony 70-200 F/4 and weight/size is quite similar. I don't think you'll miss lens stabilisation much:

- The Sony camera has IBIS

- The Tamron is a stop faster than the F/4 lenses, allowing faster shutter speeds

- For sports photography, you'll likely be using shutter speeds high enough to not suffer from camera shake at 200mm focal length anyway

A Metabones-adapter is quite an investment as well and likely won't give you native AF accuracy. IMO better invest it in an E-mount lens straght away and hold on to your Canon lens until market improves.

Regards, Pieter

Thanks Pieter. That's very wise advice. Thank you so much. 

That new Tamron lens is really interesting and I don't think missing the last 20mm is a big deal. At the very least, the weight savings is going to be a bigger difference. 

Really appreciate the insight! 

• 1 month later...