Vinesh

Buggy ImageEdge / Wireless features Alpha series

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Sony offers a Wifi enabled remote view/control which I find myself often using, due to what I shoot. However, the ImageEdge / Sony Alpha (A6400) camera firmware combination turns out to be very unreliable (not only to me, but to many others I read).

Often when my phone screen goes off, I will have to go Back in the camera menu, find the remote menu item, reveal the QR and rescan, otherwise it won't work. I have hit the 'report issue' function each time (which triggers a flimsy error code in the error report (ironically) and I keep hoping this will finally be fixed someday. For a modern camera in this class, we should expect this to work.

Additionally, I also tried ImageEdge for desktop to wirelessly transfer / preview data during shoots. After many restarts, reconnects, reinstalls it doesn't find my A6400 at all. (this would make a massive difference opposed to cable or worse; take my camera off my balanced gimbal and remove the SD card because sometimes the USB connection doesn't respond).  

In other words; Sony has is lacking big time when it comes to modern day wireless features (mobile monitor / transfer, desktop monitor / transfer). Does anyone know if there is better 3rd party software available with the capability to do this with a SonyA6400. Or; if Sony is rolling out actual fixes on this soon?

Thanks!
- Vinesh

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By AlkiP0Ps
      Hi,
      Fascinated by photography for over 40 years.  After a cleanout of the "museum" of cameras and leaving the darkroom behind, settled on the a6400 as the one to rule them all.  Have since added the sel18-135, Sigma DC DN 16, Sigma DC DN 30, and Zeiss Touit 50f2.8
      Astounded by the image quality off the body and primes, even though expectations were high.  Even the zoomer is not a complete slouch.
      I take pictures for myself.  I don't need the endorsement of the twitterverse or whatever, but am always up for learning how to use kit better.
    • By artkam
      Hello. I use sony A6400 and noticed about some blocky artifacts when use 25fps andISO more than 3200 and object move quiclly. i used good transcend card 128gb v30 and this problem is not in low bitrate. I test some cases and discovered what this artifacts become on all PP besides SLOG2 and SLOG3 and only on 25,30,50,60 fps, not 100-120fps, ISO > 3200. Anybody has this problem or it's defect of my camera?
      This example includes settings: HLG1 4k 25fps, ISO 5000 https://yadi.sk/i/7GE68PqfjElfgQ
    • By jdvoracek
      MacOS users BEWARE!!  I just bricked an A7RII ILCE-7RM2 trying to update from 4.0 to 4.01 using my MacBook Pro with Catalina 10.15.3 VERY CAREFULLY following Sony's instructions.  I had updated this camera with this computer but an earlier OS successfully in the past.  About 1/3 way done, the camera just disconnected from the computer (volume disappeared from desktop), the little red light would not go out, and the camera would not reconnect.  I tried pulling the battery.  I read where some folks had to run the update more than once, but I couldn't run it again on the Mac because the Mac would not mount the camera as a mass storage volume.  The reason I am not really upset is my wife has a desktop PC, and even in this messed up state, the camera responded to the Windows updater and is updated and running.
    • By JoeJoe
      Hi everybody :) Newbie Alpha user here... I recently got my a6400 and loving it.
      I'm planning to use it for some (music) videos soon, and I was hoping that I could get a few things bit more clarified by someone more experienced.
      As I understood, to get more cinematic-like effect I should stick to 24p(in NTSC mode), so my options are:
      When File Format is set to [XAVC S 4K] -> 24p 100M or 24p 60M When File Format is set to [XAVC S HD] -> 24p 50M ...
      So, is 100M gonna get more data than 60M which is gonna enable to create a slow motion footage in 4K..?
      Or I should - If I wish to create a slow motion footage - select one of these (while in [XAVC S HD]):
      120p 100M/100p 100M 120p 60M/100p 60M Then slow it down in Premiere, and convert it to 24p..?
      I got a bit confused with all these options, apologies if I'm asking anything too obvious :D

Thanks a lot for all the help!
    • By Jkail
      Hi. Until I can scrounge up $2k for the 200-600, my little 55-210 is my go-to for landscapes that require zooming. Unfortunately, my circular polarizing filter will not work with the lens hood that came with this lens. I hate to choose between lens flare and water reflections. Any knowledge about how to get them to work together? - Jared
    • I would like to power the camera during a timelapse so that batteries don't run out. But when I plug a USB charge cable in to its charge port, the screen automatically goes to the USB file transfer mode, as if I was trying to connect it to a computer to pull off the photos. Is there a way to keep it operating in shoot mode while providing power via the charge port?
    • I am trying to use the Timelapse app on my Sony A6000. It won't let me set an interval more than 60 seconds - is it impossible or am I just missing it?  Also, I can't figure out how to have it save as a movie instead of individual frames - how is that set?  Also it seems to eat my batteries very quickly - no longer than an hour or two of timelapse taking photos every 60 seconds, even though I've got something sitting in front of the viewfinder, to keep the LCD turned off - is that normal?
    • I haven't owned either but from whatever reviews are out there, the 24-105 seems optically much better than the 24-70 Zeiss.
    • They both seem really good lenses. Although the 105 will give me further zoom, i wondered if it was really necessary or would the 70 do the job fine? would also save me a few £££
    • Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Mannequins by Piotr Jasinski, on Flickr Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Guitars by Piotr Jasinski, on Flickr Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Perfumes by Piotr Jasinski, on Flickr