power from AC, using cam for streaming

My guess... it'll be like the a6500, which says you have to have charge in your battery while USN-"powering" and that the battery will be running down. Explanation: the USB is not actually powering the camera, it's charging the battery which is powering the camera. You're going to get enhanced runtime, but not forever. For that, you need the dummy.

Thanks Thad, that's my conclusion too, after spidering the internet for everything I could find on this subject.  The charger will provide roughtly 2/3'rds of the power necessary to run the camera. The rest comes from the battery. So, it'll extend the life of the battery, but when the battery finally crashes, so will your livestream.  I guess I'll buy a dummy charger.

Yes to the above. Won't run off USB forever' Law of diminishing returns power wise.

Have dummy adapter for the mains but find myself using this satellite setup most of the time in studio and in the field. Powers both camera and external monitor/recorder depending on how I have the rig set up.

SS 4.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SnikwaH
      I tried using a dummy battery to power my A7ii for a variety of uses, but whenever I switch from my regular battery to the dummy battery and vice versa, I am prompted to set the date and time.
      I have 2 regular batteries and switching between them is completely normal.
      Dummy Battery: it asks for 5V 2A or more.
      I have tried my USB power bank, and my wall charger. both have the camera fully functioning, but both have it reset date and time.
      The USB power bank outputs 5V 3A, 9V 2A, or 15V 1.2A. the wall charger outputs 5V 3A or 9V 2A.
      Anyone have this issue or know what the problem might be? i have tried searching for others who have had this problem but i can only find 1 person in the reviews for this product who have experienced the same thing. would a 5V 2A charger maybe work better than the 5V 3A?
    • By helen
      Hi there!
      I have an Alpha 6100 plugged in with a dummy battery and connected to the computer via CamLink, I've tried connecting to Zoom and OBS at different times. It works great, but at some point it suddenly turns off and after a while it comes back on again by itself, both in Zoom and OBS. Sometimes it has recorded for almost 2 hours non stop with no problem and there was no difference in the setting.
      Any ideas on what's happening here?
      Thank you for your help!
    • By The Chris Atwood
      I’m starting to stream shows using a Mac Pro to run Ecamm and zoom with my Sony 6300 & Sony 6000.
      Currently I use a 6ft usb cable that works great, but I want to get longer cables.  I just purchased two 20 ft cables last week and the connection didn’t work. (To be honest, they were cheep cables... you get what you pay for, lol).

Does anyone know the limitations of usb cables for connectivity or are their specific cables I need to buy.
      Anything longer than 6 feet would be awesome, but I’d love to go 25 feet so I can mount a camera to a gimbal or slider. 

Thanks in advance!
    • By Sander
      Hi, I'm facing a problem.

I want to control the A7RIII by using the USB multiport cable and get the live image of the viewfinder over HDMI.
      We use the A7RIII on a drone to take aerial pictures and movies.
      We have to use the USB multiport (USB PC Remote) in order to take pictures and to start/stop video in Manual photo mode. 
      This will not work by using WIFI.
      This works perfect as long we're not plugging in the HDMI cable into the camera.
      When we use the USB multiport in combination with HDMI, the HDMI feed goes to black when we start recording.
      Taking pictures works like it should be.
      I think I've tried everything to solve this problem, but nothing seems to work.
      Somebody with the same problems?
      Somebody with a solution?
      +10.000 karma points for the person who can help me out!

• By imageshooter
      I recently purchased an A7R III and would like to use it for travel photography.  Since I'm purchasing the rather expensive UHS-II Sony SD cards, I'd like to offload the photos and video from the SD's to a separate USB Drive.  I know that there are USB drives now that can mount an SD card and transfer it within the physical drive.  Can I keep the SD in the A7R III and connect a USB drive to the camera and do the transfer this way?  In other words, can the A7R III mount a USB drive and access it to transfer files?

Oh yea...I'm mentioning this because I don't want to carry a separate iPad/Laptop with me to perform this offload from the camera's SD.

Thanks.
  • Topics