Video record button sound

On the A7III - Is there any way to get the camera to not make a "beep / boop" sound when you start or stop video recording? It's seems ridiculous to have a "silent shutter" mode for stills when the video record function wants to start a rave... alerting any wildlife you're recording to your presence.

Also, am I just daft, or is there no way to get the rear screen to only activate when you touch the shutter release (for example)? Seems like an unnecessary waste of battery power to have it on the whole time. I know you can cycle the "Disp" function to get it to go off / on, but it's a bit of a faff.

Thanks in advance.

I already have focus beep turned off, but the video record function still produces sound, this is what I want to disable, if possible.

This is another issue I have, power saving is on, set to activate after 10 seconds, but it doesn't. The screen stays on permanently.

20 hours ago, LiveShots said:

9 hours ago, Kurgen said:

I already have focus beep turned off, but the video record function still produces sound, this is what I want to disable, if possible.

a6500: Same menu setting, same beep. Covers, as far as I know, all "control" sounds made by the camera.

Having just checked that (mine is always "off" from day one) I can understand how annoying that beep, bidaly-beep movie start/stop noise would be.

I'm expecting  that identical-feature menu settings on different models will be much the same...

On 5/3/2020 at 9:55 AM, Kurgen said:

I appreciate that you're trying to help me, but neither of those topics cover the issues I've reported.

7Sii here but there should be something similar in a 4 year newer camera.

TOOLBOX > Audio Signals >> OFF

For me it takes care of focus beep and record beep.

(Maybe turn speaker volume down/off if that doesn't do the trick?)

Edited by VTC

My god... how did I *not* see that setting?!? Thanks Thad & VTC, movie start / finish is now silent! :) Begging the question of course... why on Earth did they separate ""Silent Shooting" and "Audio Signals" by 5 menu pages??

Regarding the screen-always-on issue, I guess I'll just need to make do with manually switching it off when I'm not using it, with the "Disp" button. I still can't figure out why my "Pwr Save Start Time" setting of 10 seconds doesn't seem to do anything. I would've expected that to at least switch the screen off after 10 seconds.

Thanks again.

Good. The bigger question is why they would think anyone wants sounds like that anyway!

4 hours ago, Kurgen said:

why on Earth did they separate ""Silent Shooting" and "Audio Signals" by 5 menu pages??

Because they actually have nothing to do with each other. Silent Shooting only turns off the mechanical shutter and and turns on the electronic-only system... for stills. It is true though, that your camera isn't very silent if it beeps whenever it focuses.

Power-save certainly works for stills. Maybe it's different for movies. And, also, there are differences between movies in movie mode (on the dial) and just pressing the red button any time (which I actually disable: it is too easy to press by accident).

Sorry, you're right, silent shooting is only for the mechanical shutter on/off. What is making the difference though, is being in AF/S (which I seldom use, and makes the beep) and being in AF/C (which I use 99% of the time and doesn't beep, ever).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 4:51 PM, Kurgen said: I still can't figure out why my "Pwr Save Start Time" setting of 10 seconds doesn't seem to do anything. I would've expected that to at least switch the screen off after 10 seconds.

Turn off both the IR & Bluetooth Remote Control functions. IR is in the Toolbox menu, BT in the WiFi menu.