Has anyone had and issue with their Sony camera flickering outside? I've been scouring the internet for the last 2 days trying to figure it out and have yet to find anything. Im shooting on a Sony a7iii, with a Sigma 100-400 Canon. MC-11 adapter. All of which are updated to the newest firmware. The issue only happens when shooting 1080, 120fps. 60, 30, and 24fps work fine. My shutter speed is the correct 1/250. ISO is manually set, and so are white balance, and all other settings. Nothing is set to auto. Here is the link to an example video: https://youtu.be/dKlSIuqQIAc.  I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks! 

You're running AF, right?

I experience this with a 7Sii. I believe what you're seeing is the AF doing it's thing. I only see this when shooting 120fps but it's clearly there so much so that any slo-mo I do these days is only in MF unless the subject is moving radically so much that I need to hold focus and the movement within frame masks focus fluctuations. 

As a test do a slo mo static 5 sec shoot AF then another MF, one with adapter then one without, then get back to us. Not certain if the adapters are making it worse but I suspect it is. I've never seen flicker in a flat sky rolling slo mo AF with native lenses here as there's nothing for it to trim focus to. Me being overly critical to my own stuff means I notice it and only roll slo mo in MF.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone get anywhere with this? I've seen this issue on a few bits of my footage. Could this be an MC-11 issue? It does seem to be a defining factor where I have looked online for a solution. Like you Nate, everything was set to manual and using an MC-11 with a Sigma lens. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 9:05 PM, Nate Crocs said:

Has anyone had and issue with their Sony camera flickering outside? I've been scouring the internet for the last 2 days trying to figure it out and have yet to find anything. Im shooting on a Sony a7iii, with a Sigma 100-400 Canon. MC-11 adapter. All of which are updated to the newest firmware. The issue only happens when shooting 1080, 120fps. 60, 30, and 24fps work fine. My shutter speed is the correct 1/250. ISO is manually set, and so are white balance, and all other settings. Nothing is set to auto. Here is the link to an example video: https://youtu.be/dKlSIuqQIAc.  I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks! 

i just fixed mine with a firmware update, I was really surpirsed that it worked

• 1 year later...

Hi, I also had the same problem when shooting 100fps outdoors. The camera is the latest firmware
Here's what I've found:

it doesn't flicker if I record without a lens, or with a MC-11 paired with a canon lens

I'm suspecting that it is either caused by MC-11 or the Sigma lens

But why would such issue happen?

Edited by Pancakepan
add more info