Camfi Pro + A7r4

I did see your post when I used the search function. I started this new topic because I can't figure out how to use camfi on hte r4, I haven't gotten to the point where I think the software is buggy. I haven't been able to set it up.

21 hours ago, allan473 said:

I haven't been able to set it up.

Because you asked and got me curious, and because it's still mostly lockdown over here and I have spare time etc.:

I re-activated my camfi which had been collecting dust in its package for a while now. This is what I can tell you to hopefully get you started. Follow the steps in sequence:

1. Charge battery of Camfi until full.
  2. Connect Camfi to your camera via the USB cable which came with your Sony A7R4. The large plug goes into Camfi's USB socket, the small plug into the camera. You can slide Camfi into the hot shoe of your camera for convenience (hands-free operation), but there is no electricity/signal connection involved - it's purely mechanical at this point. Don't turn on Camfi just yet.
  3. Turn on the camera and set USB-mode to "PC Remote". Turn camera off and back on, to be sure the new USB-mode setting is active. Leave camera ON.
  4. Turn on Camfi via the slider/switch. Note the LED signals in front of Camfi: The ON/OFF indicator should turn blue instantly. The Battery indicator should not be lit. USB (cable connection between Camfi and A7R4) must turn blue shortly thereafter. If not: wrong cable!
  5. Maybe even later: 5G must also turn blue - may be flickering, but that's just an indication it's communicating. Camfi now provides a WLAN-access point functionality!
  6. On your Computer: Install the latest version of the Camfi App.
  7. Got to its network/wlan setting and select the Camfi-blahblah... access point.
  8. Start the Camfi app on your computer - it should connect to the camera, via the Camfi-WLAN.
  9. In the lower left of the Camfi App, click on the leftmost icon (live view). You should now see what the camera is viewing on your computer screen.

From there, you're on your own ... ?

Good luck!

Edited by Chrissie

Thanks for your long reply. I spent time with the camfi and a7r4 yesterday and am at the point where you left off. I can take however many images I want and they get downloaded to the sd card on my camera. The problem I now have is that the focus doesn't shift. All images  have the same focus.

To me, this seems to happen because I have the camera set on manual focus. But, that is what the instructions say. If the camera is on AF I get a message saying the camera is in AF mode when I press the start button but the shooting doesn't start. It only starts when it is in manual mode. The camfi app on my iPhone is in AF mode.

1 hour ago, allan473 said:

I can take however many images I want and they get downloaded to the sd card on my camera.

This is a little bit confusing for me:

Images are always stored on the SD card, even without any Camfi involved. Did you mean to say, that images taken by your camera via Camfi remote control are downloaded to your computer? (which would make much more sense ...)