KasiaF

Pixelated photos from A7 III

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I realise it might be a newbie question but I am used to old analogue cameras and film or Nikon cameras rather than fancy cameras like A7III. I recently got this camera as a present in a set with Sigma Art 24mm. What I've noticed is that my photos when I'm zooming in are VERY pixelated. 

Photos from a Nikon camera, with similar zoom is much smoother. Is it something typical for Sony cameras? Is it something I can change in settings? It bugs me as any skin corrections are really tricky (and pointless a bit). 

Thank a lot for any help.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Go, to your nearest Sony Shop,  Ask there !

Sony Cameras work best, with Sony lenses !

It could be down to the   Sony / Sigma  not working together !

Also, your post is confusing ???

You say  a Sigma  ART  24  mm ?

That is a prime lens  ?

How do you zoom, that  ?

Are you sure, you are not just  trying to take pictures.... too close ?

Or, are you using  Digital Zoom, after   taking the pictures ?

That, would explain everthing !

Edited by Wally The Confused

10 hours ago, Wally The Confused said:

Go, to your nearest Sony Shop,  Ask there !

Sony Cameras work best, with Sony lenses !

It could be down to the   Sony / Sigma  not working together !

Also, your post is confusing ???

You say  a Sigma  ART  24  mm ?

That is a prime lens  ?

How do you zoom, that  ?

Are you sure, you are not just  trying to take pictures.... too close ?

Or, are you using  Digital Zoom, after   taking the pictures ?

That, would explain everthing !

I heard that but I don’t have Sony lens to compare the results yet. Should arrive next week but it would be so weird if it’s just a matter of Sigma vs Sony lens.
Yes it’s a prime lens, zoom is done in Lightroon while I’m trying to edit some photos but with this level of pixelation is really pointless :(

Yeah would love to go to Sony shop but we are on a lock down in the UK hence post on Sony group :) 

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, KasiaF said:

What I've noticed is that my photos when I'm zooming in are VERY pixelated. 

Any image from any camera using any lens will look "very pixelated", if you zoom in to more than 100%.

What you really should do first is, do a Zoom to 100%, 1:1 or whatever this setting might be called.   

On 4/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, KasiaF said:

I am used to old analogue cameras

If your target doesn't cover enough pixels, because maybe you were too far away, there is no point in cranking up the pixel zoom factor. This is the digital world, and there is no additional information somehow "hidden" between pixels. Much unlike the analogue world, where using a magnifying glass might very well reveal information which was not visible to the naked eye.

Edited by Chrissie

Thanks Chrissie but I posted 2 photos from different cameras and you can see the edge from Nikon and edge from Sony, Nikon is much smoother than pixelated Sony. My question is why.

Posted (edited)

I was prepared for that question, too 😉

The reason for this obvious difference in appearance is twofold:

1. Your left image has a high contrast between skin and background, making the pixelation more obvious than the right image, where dark skin is shot against a dark background (low contrast).
  2. The pixel zoom factor in the left image is about twice as high than in the right image, again visually amplifying the pixelation of the left image. (See my slightly redacted portion of your sample).

You aren't trying to supply the forum with random workload, in times of lockdown, are you? 😉

Edited by Chrissie

I don't know what Nikon cameras you used, but I used a lot and the cameras that had a low-pass filter looked better than the ones that didn't have when you zoomed in that insane way: D

The low pass filter towards the smoothing you show, but it took away the sharpness of the photo.

Anyway, I left Nikon because I was not comfortable with the number of failed cameras they sent me. You should never keep something that does not satisfy you.

But I don't know anything about this, the experts are you

Best regards gato