Hobartian

Grossly overexposed images using Nex-6 inbuilt flash.

I use my Sony Nex-6 with a variety of Nikon lens in the aperture priority mode with Release Without Lens activated and focus peaking.

Recently I have tried to use the built-in flash in low light situations with dismal results.

When I press the shutter button the flash does not emit a single flash and instead appears to flash three or four times in quick succession resulting in the image being grossly over-exposed.

I have the flash set to the Slow Sync Mode.

I  am inexperienced in using the built-in flash and would appreciate it if someone could advise me where I am going wrong.

Thank you.

Are you certain your Red-Eye reduction is not actib=vated ? It would explain the numerous flash bursts you are describing

Are you certain your flash exposure compensation is set at 0EV ? It would explain the overexposure

Thanks Michelb for your response.

I followed your suggestions to check to see if the Red-Eye reduction was activated and it was.   I de-activated it and then checked the flash exposure

compensation.  It was set to 0EV so I changed it to -2 EV.    I tested the camera with the changed settings and the images were vastly improved. 

It has occurred to me that if you take a photo of something in a dark room using a flash you will not get the same natural look that you would 

get if the room was well lit and you did not use the flash.

Posted (edited)

That tiny little flash does come in handy every now and then. Whenever I use the built in flash on my a6500, I always point it upward to bounce the flash off the ceiling rather than flashing straight forward. The light thus travels a longer distance to your subjects and the ceiling acts as a big diffuser. Both effects result in much smoother lighting. A frontal flash will usually get you harsh shadows and ugly results, avoid if possible.

Edited by Pieter