Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone.  I'm pretty new here.  I have a Sony A7III and shoot mostly outdoors photography.

I'm considering buying a 200-600mm lens but have also heard rumors that Sony is going to be introducing the Sony A7IV soon.

I have a 400mm lens that works for most purposes so the longer length isn't that critical and I'm wondering if I should save my money and wait till the A7IV comes out.

Has anyone heard when Sony expects to release that camera.  If it's going to be fairly soon, I will probably hold off buying the lens, if not, well...

Any thoughts you folks might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and it's nice to be here.

Posted (edited)

How much better, is the  A 7 4 going to be, over the A 7 3 ?

I could understand the question more, if you were going to update to  the  A 7 S or A 7 R series.

Presumably, you are talking about using a tripod ? 

Offhand I have no idea how much the  200 - 600 lens weighs, but I did rent the 70 - 200   f 2.8 for a couple of days.

Yes, lovely lens, but so heavy, to lug around on a day to day basis, I would never considder buying one.

Is there anywhere , locally you can rent, the 200  - 600 ?  do some test shots  ?

Or mebbe your local shop, will let you try it out  ?

It would be a real waste of money, to pay for the  200 - 600, then find out, its not what you expected, especially as you are happy with your 400 mm.

I, would wait, and see , what this : A 7 4, has to offer.....then decide,   if its so different,   that  you want to update.

Then, adress the lens  issue, but as said, try renting  the 200 - 600 for a couple of days, then see what you think of the results !

Good luck, whichever way, you go.

Edited by Wally The Confused
tyop

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Newbie_FIN
      Hey
      This is my first post. Just bought my first digi camera less than week ago (Sony a6000 with SELP1650 for 190€).
      I did try to search but I did not find what I was looking for. If there is already topic about this feel free to link it here and I will delete this thread.
      So I study communications and me and my friend have a plan of shooting a "0budget" interview/documentary about drugusers life on street.
      Here in Finland is so dark during these winter months that I need lense that has good F-value. The current lense has f3.5 when not zoomed.
      What is the cheapest zoom lense that you guys would recommend for my purposes? And how about some cheap wide angle prime lenses for this type of videography?
      Thank you,
      FinnishNoob
    • By kalforever
      Hi everyone!
      I just acquired a couple of months ago the Sony a6000 to start into serious photography (I used to shoot IPhone and even if I love it, I've always looked for better and true stunning  photos), I paired it with the Sigma 16mm F1.4 and love the versatility and the results especially the image quality. I've used primarily as an all-round, travel, every day photography even environmental portraits in low light.
      I'm very excited since just received the A7III in addition to start in the FF world and I'm just trying to decide the first lens should I buy for, after reading and watching a lot of reviews I narrowed my search to the following candidates:
      Sony 24-105mm F4 G, very useful focal length range and super sharp, F4 aperture may be compensated by increasing ISO in low light situations. Tamron 28-75mm F2.8, standard zoom lens for landscape, portrait and street photography, the F2.8 and apparently good sharpness is something really gets me. Sony Zeiss 50mm F1.4 / 55mm F1.8 standard primes, the overall performance and good perks of the 55mm are great, but the reviews about the stunning pop ("like magic") of the 50mm image quality really wants me to incline for this lens, is that really good? Sony 24mm F1.4 G Master, in pre-order right now but I really expect an excellent performance and to be a go-to for landscape photography and overkill the previous experience with the Sigma 16mm 1.4 (APS-C). I can just afford 1 lens this year (I won't be buying another lens even after savings) and don't mind to be walking in or out to get the perfect composition, I just want to get the best experience and image quality and start building my lens kit after time.
      Thank you for the feedback!
    • By Al Pha
      Does anyone know why Sony (or 3rd parties) can't make a better adapter for their A-mount SSM and SAM lenses? For example, the relatively inexpensive Sony 28-75 f2.8 is a really good lens. I've tried several copies and they make sharp, contrasty images. However, the AF on my E-mount bodies (a9 & a6500) is hampered by the paucity of focus points. The limiting factor is obviously not the bodies, and I don't think it's the lenses. It seems to be the adapter!
    • By Ceallach
      I am one of the many who is transitioning to mirrorless from the Canon system (6D).  I have been researching lenses and it's making my head spin.  Until I decide which Sony or aftermarket lenses to get I will use the MC-11 adapter with my current setup.  I have always used zoom lenses but am considering using primes with this camera.  The biggest obstacle I have is budget.  

What lenses would be recommended for a new Sony shooter?  Also, how are the aftermarket lenses with regards to sharpness/IQ?

FYI, here is my current collection of lenses.

- Tokina 16-28mm; use for landscape, architecture,etc. 
      - Sigma 24-105mm; used as my general--purpose lens.
      - Canon 70-200 f/4; considering keeping this if the IQ with the adapter is good.
      - Canon 100-400; same as the 70-200
      - Tamron 90mm Macro; used for macro 

So my immediate needs would be to cover from wide-angle to around 100mm,

Thanks.  I am new to this forum and this is my first post.  One more day and I can pass out cigars.
    • By killswitch
      Hi,

First post for me. I am contemplating switching to Sony, and have my eyes set on a used A7R II or a A7R III (if it comes out in a couple of months). I have been a Canon user for nearly 7 years and currently using the 5D3. I mainly do landscapes, street photography, and family events. Lenses I use the most in descending order: 16-35 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 50 f1.2, 24-70 f2.8. I am looking to replace these lenses with it's Sony equivalent or anything as close as possible. My reason for switching is reducing weight, and amount of space it takes up in my backpack.

Can anyone here (especially former Canon users) shed some light if the size and weight while using the mirrorless system or it's (lens especially) made a big difference? Or are the sony equivalent lenses feel the same as Canon's version in terms of size, weight and balance?
    • Welcome to our forum!
    • ... just to say hello to all of you. I'm new to this forum and I hope to get new contact to other A7 addicts. Best wishes - Andreas
    • I was looking for an official number for the A7ii for shutter life expectancy but couldn't find anything on sonys page. On other bodies like A7Rii iii snd A6400 A6600 and so on they state how much the shutter has been tested for. If ypu google it you get unconfirmed 200k, but that isn't from sony themselves so Im suspicious about that.  Btw, how much worse is the af on the 7ii compared to the 7rii? 
    • Hi All I'm new to this forum and did a quick check as i'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything. I have an A6000 that I want to download the Time Lapse app to but in order to do this I need to connect it to a laptop. I've now tried two different laptops and two different genuine Sony cables but still nothing. I've been through the troubleshooting on the Sony website but none of that worked including trying the different USB Connection settings. Any ideas?
    • Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.