Sign in to follow this  
HamsGruber

White Balance/Exposure Issues w/ Hot Shoe Flash - A7iii

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings all,

I couldn't find an answer to these problems I have been having lately with the A7iii, so hopefully you guys can help!

I am shooting real estate on an A7iii with a 16-35 Zeiss F4 and a Godox V860ii-s hot shoe flash in TTL mode. Here are my problems: For one, if I leave the camera in auto white balance and even on a tripod, the camera will produce two completely different images if I take two pictures. One shot will be properly balanced color and the other will be all orange/red. 

The other issue I have is with my exposure and the communication from the A7iii to the flash. My colleague shoots using a Nikon Z6 and Canon EOS-R. Both cameras have native 16-35 F4 lenses on them and both are using the same hot shoe light. What's frustrating me is, despite setting all 3 cameras to 1/30, F8 and ISO 640, his Nikon and EOS-R produce far better exposed shots than my A7iii. It's obviously not the lenses or our exposure settings, so I must have missed a hidden setting on the A7iii menu system or the communication between the A7iii and the Godox flash.

Either way, I'm frustrated with having to either crank the ISO to 1,600-2,000 or waste time/money with figuring out the manual flash settings on the Godox for each room of the house.

Is there any advice anyone can give me to help solve these issues?

Ok, I have some questions, but let me start by saying  I do not know anything about Godox.

I use the Metz 44 AF- 2, dedicated  for Sony, flash, and it functions perfectly on my A7 II, and on my A 9.

Is Godox, the same ? as in  Godox for Nikon , Godox for Cannon &  Godox for Sony ?  As in,  are you sure your Godox, is for a Sony ?

Have you searched the  Youtube clips, to see if anyone, has allready made a clip, about putting the  Sony & the Godox, together ?

Have you, updated the Sony Camera, to the latest software ?

Sometimes, an update adds  more  features, to what is allready ,a long & complicated  menu system .

Thats me, out of ideas, apart from, mebbe taking the two, to a reputable camera shop, and asking  there ?

I use my local branch of Jessops, as they have a Sony Brainiac, who just sorts it... then he tells you what he has done !

I hope you get an answer somewhere, then dont forget to post the solution, for others, who might be in the same boat !

Good Luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By D.R. Smith
      Hi.  I’m trying to find an affordable lens for my A7III that I can attach and walk around the neighborhood with. I live in a semi-rural area so I want something that will be good for landscape shots too.  Id prefer not to carry around a large lens on my walks. If anyone has any suggestions I’d be very appreciative. 
      Thanks
    • By Mikehh
      Still working how to move my Nikon workflow over to Sony.
      A gripe I'm having is the SD backup in camera.
      I have an UHS2 card in slot 1. UHS1 in slot 2.
      They write and clear the buffer at the exact same rate.
      I did a little test and filled the buffer (about 55 compressed raw shots) and it took around 36 seconds to dump to both cards. And I could see on screen both cards dumped at the same rate.
      Taking slot 2 card out, leaving just the uhs2 card. 60 shots cleared in 24 seconds.
      So....I just wasted money on uhs 2 cards or am I missing something?
      I'd have thought the slot 2 dump would just happen in the back ground. Maybe grabbing from slot 1 so the buffer can just clear quickly.
    • By Sigmund
      Have just got my new Sony A7 III. I'm having trouble with too much echo/reverb when using external microphone. When recording in an environment where there should be no echo at all (e.g in a forest with snow) it sounds that it was recorded inside an empty room. I use a Røde VideoMic Pro when recording. I also tried other mic's with the same result. When recording with the same mic's on my smartphone, the sound is normal. Is this normal to A7 III? Anyone else with similar experience? 
      Example 1 https://youtu.be/Cj1RuHhTFbM (listen when closing car doors)
      Example 2 https://youtu.be/2UENFIC47xU
      Regards
      Sigmund M.
    • By fredd_90
      Hello
      My Sony ILCE-7M3 wont start, probably something that very wrong?

I use original Sony battery for the moment, have also tried with 3-party batteries but the same message appear...
      Message: Incompatible Battery, Use correct model. When I charge, the charge indicator led flashing fast(orange).

I dont have any battery door, because it was removed when the vertical battery grip was used, just sold the grip and one of my objective..... and now it won't even start with original battery.
      I have loosen the metal cover under the camera to see possibility to moisture but nothing there.... have not dropped the camera..

The battery is charged to 7.2volt

Please help me😥👎

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • By Lymealope
      Basically I need immediate access to video files on the computer as soon as they are shot on the camera.
      I have a video capture card but it is limited to 60 FPS and I haven't found one that goes any higher. Furthermore, I'm believe that the a7iii can't output higher than 60fps via hdmi anyway.
      Anyone know a reasonable way to get videos from camera to computer for immediate accessibility without removing the SD Card or sending via wireless?
      Maybe a tethering utility that allows video transfer? I have Sony remote/edit/viewer bundle but that doesn't allow video transfer.
    • Is it possible to assign a custom button to actually toggle the eye af On or Off, rather than having to hold it down all the time. An alternate solution would be to Toggle (without holding a button down) if possible, from Human to Animal which would turn eye af for humans off. There are other options where you can select a Toggle for example, Register AF Toggle on AF2 page 4/19 on the A9
    • Welcome to our forum!
    • ... just to say hello to all of you. I'm new to this forum and I hope to get new contact to other A7 addicts. Best wishes - Andreas
    • I was looking for an official number for the A7ii for shutter life expectancy but couldn't find anything on sonys page. On other bodies like A7Rii iii snd A6400 A6600 and so on they state how much the shutter has been tested for. If ypu google it you get unconfirmed 200k, but that isn't from sony themselves so Im suspicious about that.  Btw, how much worse is the af on the 7ii compared to the 7rii? 
    • Hi All I'm new to this forum and did a quick check as i'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything. I have an A6000 that I want to download the Time Lapse app to but in order to do this I need to connect it to a laptop. I've now tried two different laptops and two different genuine Sony cables but still nothing. I've been through the troubleshooting on the Sony website but none of that worked including trying the different USB Connection settings. Any ideas?