Sony A6000 Focus Stuck

Greetings,

I've had my Sony A6000 for at least 5 years, but for the last year or so, I've been randomly facing this issue where my focus appears to be continuously partially pressed. What that does is I am not able to do anything (click on anything else) other than clicking the shutter button to take pictures. Here's a picture of what it looks like

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As you can see, my camera is just on, but it behaves as if I partially have the shutter button pressed. In the past, i've assumed that maybe my button is partially pressed, and I try to pull it awkwardly, sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. This has become more of a problem recently and has made my camera almost unusable. Has anyone else faced this issue?

Haven't faced this issue but I guess it's due to wear on the shutter button. A renowned camera store should be able to fix it but might be cheaper to just buy another used a6000.

A partial fix might be to put the camera in AF-C instead of AF-S: at least it will refocus when you move the camera or subject. Use zone focussing to determine where you want to focus if it doesn't lock onto your desired subject.

Thank you Pieter for your response.

I called Sony Customer support and the gentleman was very helpful. You were right that this is probably a hardware issue and needs to be sent to a service center/shop to be fixed. However, after suggestions from the customer service agent,  I got around the problem by turning off AF on the shutter button and using the AEL button to AutoFocus ( I achieved this using "Custom Key Settings". It's a minor inconvenience but should give me more mileage out of my camera for the time being. I might face some other issues, since the original hardware issue of the shutter button "partially pressed" is still there, so it might lead to other issues. 

I'll update this thread if this doesn't work out in the long run.

• 2 years later...
On 3/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, Safder said:

Thank you Pieter for your response.

I called Sony Customer support and the gentleman was very helpful. You were right that this is probably a hardware issue and needs to be sent to a service center/shop to be fixed. However, after suggestions from the customer service agent,  I got around the problem by turning off AF on the shutter button and using the AEL button to AutoFocus ( I achieved this using "Custom Key Settings". It's a minor inconvenience but should give me more mileage out of my camera for the time being. I might face some other issues, since the original hardware issue of the shutter button "partially pressed" is still there, so it might lead to other issues. 

I'll update this thread if this doesn't work out in the long run.

Hi! I have the same problem. :((  can you please tell me how you solved it?

Thank's

• SAF Admin changed the title to Sony A6000 Focus Stuck