Sony A9 Manual Exposure

Could someone kindly checkout an option for me that works well on my Fujis.

If I set, for example, a manual shutter speed of 1/250 sec @ f1.8, can I set Auto ISO

so the A9 changes the ISO automatically as the light varies to maintain the correct exposure, 

assuming of course its 18% grey

Yes, that's possible. I'm confused by what you may have meant by the "18% grey" thing, though.

I used the Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 for this test.

You need to set the Mode Dial to "M", (manual), select shutter speed and aperture to the desired settings.

In addition, ISO needs to be set to "Auto" (Menu: Camera 1 / page 9 / ISO => select "Auto", then allow for a sufficiently large range where the Auto ISO can float within, as described in the "Hint" paragraph on the "ISO" help guide page (se last link):

Hint

• You can change the range of ISO sensitivity that is set automatically in [ISO AUTO] mode. Select [ISO AUTO] and press the right side of the control wheel, and set the desired values for [ISO AUTO Maximum] and [ISO AUTO Minimum].

Thanks for the detailed advice, that option will be ideal as it is normally one of the ways I work

The 18% grey card, we all know that we can’t expect to get a spot on exposure with Auto functions, I was just trying to indicate that the old fashioned grey card was a tried and tested method of exposure calculation in my youth.

You must be a lot younger than me if you have never used the grey card.

Regards.