Using 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 OSS lenses in full frame a7 or a9 cameras

Hello, 

I'm curious to know if these two lenses can be effectively used in FF bodies without invoking crop mode. For instance, in my Pentax APS-C setup, I can use my 35mm and 50mm lenses in compatible FF bodies (film and DSLR). There is very slight vignetting, but I can get a full frame view out of them.

Has anyone else tried these two lenses in FF mode?

• 1 year later...

From above link:

Menu item details

On:
Records in either APS-C-equivalent size or Super 35mm-equivalent size.
Auto:
Automatically sets the capture range depending on the lens.
Off:
Always captures 35mm full-frame image sensor pictures.

This OFF setting assumes the lens has an image circle wide enough to create a full frame image.  If it doesn't, it can't

Thanks for the explanations, but it would be more helpful to provide some photos. Has anyone directly tried my OP description at all?

I can't do it at the moment as I no longer have the camera or any lenses for it.

If not, thanks for the responses.

Hi,

For those looking at Crop mode on a full frame camera. Yes it does mean you can use APS-C lenses on your camera, and yes it does extend the effective focal length (or "reach") of a lens...However, remember it also reduces the number of pixels being used - so on a 24Mp full frame camera, only about 10.6 Mp are being used in crop mode.

Personally having invested in 24Mp FF (A99), I want lenses that utilise all the sensor.

Having said that, I do utilise the extra reach of APS-C by not getting rid of my A68, which  has 24Mp APS-C sensor. Usually using my 170 - 500mm zoom (255 - 750mm equivalent) which I only take when I'm out to take distant or shy wildlife (mainly birds and deer)